    Makenchi

    I've got a K8N Neo4 Platinum MSI AMD 64 4000+ single core mobo, not sure if the BIOS are up to date, 2 gigs of Corsair 400mhz ram, a 300gig IDE maxtor HDD, a samsung IDE mutli burner/driver and a HP Pasario IDE dvd drive, has a Nvidia 6800 vid card now, had two caps near CPU replaced and the Northbridge fan is deader than a door nail along with the rear case fan.

    What the problem is, when I try to get it to boot from either the HDD (has Win2000 Pro installed in it), XP Pro disc, Vista Ultimate disc, it loads everything then stops when it says starting windows, it just freezes, anyone happen to know why its doing this?

    Makenchi, Aug 28, 2009
  2. Makenchi

    articmunkey

    Had two capacitors near CPU replaced? Could be faulty hardware right there. I recently had to give up my MSI neo 3-v board due to corrupt bios, didnt want to give it up for the longest time I loved the board, did me good but finally had to toss it. Could be hardware.

    Hey when you say you have win2k installed on your hard disk right? But you say you try to run XP or Vista etc. off the cd. Are you trying to install a different OS or boot off a live cd? I know XP doesnt support live cd stuff like Linux does to where u can run off cd. I think, dont quote me on this, but I think vista will.... But if your smart, you would throw that Vista disc in the trash.

    Some systems running win2k or XP (pre Vista) wont load because XP and 2k and 98 etc. were written to only support IDE drives not SATA. So if you had a SATA drive to get XP to work you would have to "slipsteam" the SATA drivers in there so XP knows "oh I got a SATA drive in me" but that doesnt seem to be the case, you got IDE.

    If you can get into win 2k using safe mode (press F8 like mad during boot) but cant boot normally, that means somewhere your windows setup is forked. Could be bad drivers, or something that loads on startup (start->run->msconfig.exe) and youll have to turn it off. But be careful, turning off the wrong thing in there could seriously fork you if you dont know what your doing.

    Peace.

    articmunkey, Sep 26, 2009