K8S-MX, SoundMax, IRQ sharing

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Herallyon, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Herallyon

    Herallyon Guest

    I've just upgraded to a K8S-MX mainboard, and have a question around
    the integrated SoundMax audio chipset (by Analog Devices).

    I have ACPI turned on, and I'm running WinXP Pro. During the install,
    it found the audio chipset at IRQ 11, which was fine, as nothing else
    was on that IRQ, but after I installed the audio drivers, it changed to
    IRQ 18, which is shared with the graphics card (Matrox Parhelia in the
    AGP slot). I generally don't have a problem with IRQ sharing, but I'm
    concerned that there may be the occasional issues, particularly during
    heavy multimedia applications, in this instance.

    So my options appear to be:

    - Live with it
    - Re-install with ACPI turned off
    - Install a seperate sound card

    Looking for opinions on which would be the best way to go with this.

    Thanks

    Herallyon, Jul 20, 2005