K8SE (S2892) is frying PSU's

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Rowdy, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. Rowdy

    Rowdy Guest

    I recently RMA'd a K8SE (2892). Tyan replaced the board. After setting up
    the board I powered up on the first try. I then set out to how it
    performed. I burned DVD's, transfered large files etc. The board performed
    flawlessly. I powered it down and went to bed. Upon waking up and powering
    up ... nothing. The board failed to post. I sent the board back. Tyan
    said it booted so it must be my PSU. I didn't like that but I went with it.
    I have a power supply tester from Antec. The 24 pin out passes the test.
    Anyway I picked up another PSU and set up the maching using only a video
    card and one hard drive. The board powered up but would not boot again.
    Dead PSU. Just like the last time.

    Could the board be shorting out the CPU power supplies (8 Pin connector) ?
    I read a number of times about older Tyan boards burning out PSU's. Is this
    happening to anyone else?

    I placed a call into Tech support at Tyan this afternoon. No response so
    far. They have been good up to this point. So no complaints about service.

    First Power supply Antec True Power 550 eps12v
    Second PSU - OCZ 700 watt version eps12v.

    Rowdy, Jun 8, 2006

  2. I have a K8SE running on an Antec True Power 550 with no problems.
    There was an issue with USB, but that was resolved by flashing to the
    latest BIOS (I used the beta BIOS). What processor(s) do you have?
    It's possible that you're using something with a higher current draw
    than Tyan does during their testing, or that you have a malfunctioning
    or intermittent processor.

    Matin

    Martin Shoemaker, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Rowdy

    Rowdy Guest

    Thanks for responding.

    I am running dual 248's. When I sent the board back Tyan only wanted one
    CPU. My last config was a pair of Western Digital Raptors, one video card
    (Radeon x700), 4 gigs of ram and twin 248's.

    When the original board went bad I was running only one 846. I was not
    running the 248's. :-(

    I have been unsuccessful in connecting with Tyan's RMA department the last
    few days. I wonder if they have caller id?

    Rowdy, Jun 10, 2006
  4. Rowdy

    Rowdy Guest

    I sent the psu back to the vendor for a diagostic. The vendor stated the
    PSU is good. He also stated the PSU knows the board is drawing to much
    power so it won't start. It is down to the second CPU or the board. &*^%$

    Rowdy, Jun 26, 2006
  5. Rowdy

    Jim Guest

    I too am having power supply issues, although not quite the same. I
    just fried a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 850 with my K8WE (2895)
    board. The power supply test fine with a simple tester, but it will
    not boot the board. A second power supply boots the board fine. When
    I return to my first power supply, it won't boot the board. I don't
    think it is putting out enough current. It worked fine for more than
    six months.

    I hope this helps!

    Jim

    Jim, Jun 26, 2006
  7. Rowdy

    Beach Guest

    I am running stock 248's. I have purchased a brand new board. Ouch!

    I will post the results.

    Thanks for the input.

    Beach, Jul 6, 2006
  8. Rowdy

    Rowdy Guest

    I had both PSU's checked out and they work. I ended up talking with Tech
    support and he agreed the board must be bad. I shipped it 8/4/06.

    Tyan has given me another run at the RMA process.

    Rowdy, Aug 6, 2006
  9. Rowdy

    Jim Guest

    Good luck! I got my new 1 KW power supply back from PC Power &
    Cooling, and it is working like a charm!

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 13, 2006