k8t Neo FSR oddities...

Discussion in 'MSI' started by library, May 13, 2007.

  1. library

    library Guest

    I, through some wrangling of warranties, have managed to get an
    upgrade card to replace an older, no longer in use card with a nice
    7900 AGP from XFX.

    This went into said motherboard, and when booted, just sits there.

    Not in any usual and obvious spot mind you, but right before the
    booting of the bios.

    Click the power.
    Video card pops up,
    Dram clock, Does the memory test fine.
    then Halts right before being able to enter the bios, or see the hard
    drives.

    As far as I can tell, it halts inside the BIOS somewhere. and I can't
    do bully about it.

    So I pop the older (x800 with a coffee grinder for a fan) card back
    in. poof! works fine (though loud).

    Updating the BIOS (twice) fixes nothing.
    Updating Motherboard does bupkus.
    Getting a different 7900 (yanked from my brothers) has the same
    problem, and I lack the funds to grab an ATI equivalents.

    Only for 7900 cards as far as I can tell does it halt.

    But, the machine is still responsive, somewhat anyways. well, I mean I
    can tap del to try to enter bios. It says, one moment... but never
    actually does anything about it.

    Thus I must ask;
    does the MSI k8T Neo FSR have an AGP limitation of x800 / 6800? or can
    I throw in say a x1950 pro agp and get it to work? Am I doomed to the
    noisy coffee grinder card for all time?

    Any information or links or whathaveyou would be appreciated.

    Thank you for your time,

    Michael Finn

    library, May 13, 2007

  2. library

    Harry Syme Guest

    does the new card require a power supply?

    Harry Syme, May 18, 2007

  3. library

    lkboop Guest

    Your power supply is going bad. 7900 requires more current which
    apparently your old power supply is either unable or unwilling to supply.

    lkboop, May 19, 2007