K8T Neo

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Craig Matchan, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I just bought a MSI K8T Neo with the Athlon64 (it was a bundle pack) This is
    my first MSI based system, previously I've been pretty much an ASUS person.

    The config is

    1Gb ram (2 x 512Mb Kingston)
    2 x WD 80 Gb IDE HDs
    1 x Pioneer DVD
    1 x Pioneer DVD+RW
    1 x ATI 9800XT
    1 x 450W PSU
    WinXP Pro

    Now the thing is the system was quite unstable, just spontaneous reboots.
    I've upgraded the bios to 1.10 and installed the latest (or what I could
    find on MSI's site) drivers for the onboard LAN, Firewire and Audio devices.
    Things improved a little, but I was still getting these reboots, however
    this time it seemed more related to the audio side of things. So I disabled
    the onboard audio and installed an Audigy (not a Audigy2). What was odd was
    that the system wouldn't detect the card unless it was in a specific slot on
    the motherboard, some sort of conflict I assume (so much for PnP). Once
    WinXP detected it and I installed the drivers the system has been rock
    solid.

    So my question is, is there some reliability issue with the Realtek drivers?
    Is it normal for this board to be fussy about which slots a soundcard is in?

    Any comments welcome

    tia

    Craig

    Craig Matchan, Dec 13, 2003