    ram chip, and that everything will work OK with the new memory. But I am a
    little doubtful because the manual does say that DDR 266 is OK.

    Thanks, John

    John McDonnell, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Yes,

    However it does also state that ECC memory will not. The A64 onboard memory
    controller is picky about the ram, also the power supply is not sufficient
    to work properly with that motherboard. You should have a power supply with
    at least 24Amps on the 12V rail. Cheap power supplies are just asking for
    trouble.

    Ray Hansmeier, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Hello John,

    first of all I have the same board and the same CPU (Winchester I
    guess). And the same problem. It has something to do with the board
    itself. You need to have the Board with the BIOS 1.3 (Winchester ready).

    Ask you dealer for an Winchester ready board. It has nothing to do
    with you PSU. My has 480W and I have the same trouble. I send all my
    componets to my dealer (CPU, Board, Cooler, RAM). And he is checking
    whats wrong. Its the second Board by the way with this trouble thing.

    I let you know how we fixed it.

    Michael

    Michael Steinbrueck, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Hi, Michael

    This sounds reasonable. The 3000+ socket 939 is a very new chip. I
    purchased the 6702E board at Newegg.com. One of the review posts on
    Newegg's site was from a certain "ElvinSage" on 11/24/2004. He mentioned
    that the board would not post without "special flashing". Alas, he (she?)
    did not give the details of this special flashing. Maybe somebody knows
    what this means? Maybe there is a stand-alone way to update the bios to
    1.3?

    As I suspected, the ram was not the problem. Crucial's top-of-the-line
    Ballistix DDR400 did not help. I am still puzzled as to why the JLED does
    not flash even one light at all.

    By the way, has this board been reliable with the older CPU's, e.g. 3500+ ?

    Have a good day,

    John

    John McDonnell, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Follow up - the recommended approach is to borrow an older 130 nm socket 939 CPU so that you can get the 6702E to post, and then update the bios to the new version which supports 90 nm chips. I myself don't have any friends with a spare Athlon 64 90nm 939. I'll take the board to a shop and pay somebody to do it. See more at
    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=61943&enterthread=y

    John McDonnell, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Hi John,

    you can bring the new BIOS with an external Flasher to the actual BIOS
    version. Maybe you can also check for somebody who is doing BIOS
    Service. I checked Goggle and in Germany are some Shops which are
    offering such Services. Maybe you have the same sort of thing in the US.
    I am still waiting for the response from my dealer whats went wrong with
    my old board. Or maybe its a faulty CPU. I also know that the ABIT
    3rdEye Boards have an actual BIOS which supports the Winchester without
    a problem. But dont go for the older CPUs. The benefits of the
    Winchester is worth to doing some work. If you see the reviews how easy
    you can go with them to higher clock speed and they are working all with
    67 Watt (less heat) as the older ones.

    Your link described the same problem for an ABIT Voard by the way. And
    the ASUS A8V Deluxe is also very picky with RAM issues. So fingers cross
    and hope for both of us to get the baby to work.

    I let you know if I get solved the problem and how.

    Have a nice day.

    Michael

    Michael Steinbrueck, Dec 3, 2004