K8T Neo2-F configuration questions

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Al Santino, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. Al Santino

    Al Santino Guest

    I'm planning on buying a system with the following components:

    Athlon 64 939 pin 3000+
    K8T Neo2-F
    4x 256MB -Crucial DDR PC3200 CL3 non-ecc, unbuffered

    Can anyone tell me
    a) whether they've had any problems with a configuration like this one
    b) whether the board accepts ecc memory (The manual that I downloaded from
    the website doesn't mention ecc anywhere.)
    c) whether the board requires four memory modules for the best performance
    d) the manual for the board says it "supports up to 3500+, 3800+, ... or
    higher CPU". Will it support a 3000+?
    e) Will it support both the 90 nm and the other (thicker?) version of the
    3000+?

    Thanks!

    Al

    Al Santino, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Al Santino

    Michael Paul Guest

    Am Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:24:09 -0800 schrieb Al Santino:

    Hi,
    Winchester-core, I assume.
    hm. 2x512MB will be a better choice.
    I don't think so, but you also may check AMD website for further
    information.
    As can be read in the manual, memory speed will not exceed DDR333 if 4
    double sided modules are used. 4 single sided modules should work at
    DDR400.
    I think it's better to use two 512MB modules. There is no difference in
    performance compared to 4 modules.
    Yes, I'm running the K8T Neo2-FIR with Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester) and
    2x512MB PC3200 CL3 (Infineon Original). Make sure that at least BIOS Ver.
    3.2 is installed if you want to use 90nm CPU.
    Yes, but it depends on the BIOS.

    hth,
    Michael

    Michael Paul, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Al Santino

    Al Santino Guest

    Michael,

    Thanks for the reply. I didn't give much thought to the difference between
    the 754 and 939 pin models but see now that they do have different clock
    speeds. I'll make sure to go with the 939 model. Looks like 3.3 is the
    latest bios from MSI.

    I wonder what the latest board rev is?

    Thanks again, Michael.

    Al

    Al Santino, Feb 26, 2005
  4. 3.3 is the latest bios. But there are still some pre-3.2 boards in the
    channel. So make sure that you insist on "Winchester ready" from your
    retailer. I'm not aware of any revisions beyond 1.0 at this time. Somebody
    please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

    I own this board. I bought it last November with a Winchester 3000+. But
    It came with 3.0 bios and would not post. Luckily I was able to borrow a
    130 nm cpu from a friend so that I could boot the system and update the
    bios. I have had no problems since then. Very stable - unlike the 754-pin
    K8T-Neo which I also have.

    Two other notes - (1) make sure that you use at least a 4X AGP card. It
    (and most new boards) do not support AGP 2X and will not post with one. (2)
    stay away from "el echeapo" power supplies. Get a name brand like Antec,
    Enermax, or (the best but priciest) PC Power & Cooling.

    John McDonnell, Feb 28, 2005