    the drives and the mid-tower case. I have flashed to the latest BIOS, 3.20.
    I very much appreciate suggestions from anyone. Thanks

    Eddie

    Eddie E, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Eddie E

    DeRanger Guest

    I use the same RAM as you exactly (both sticks, 1 gig) on my K8T NEO
    FIS2R and have had absolutely no problem. I am using the stock bios
    mind you, with an Enermax 470 watt PS and an ATI x800 pro. I don't know
    if the power supply could make a difference but thought I'd throw this
    in there for you.

    DeRanger, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Eddie E

    Eddie E Guest

    Thank you very much. Are your RAM chips single or double sided? I hear that
    could make a difference. I wondered if the power supply was adequate when I
    started having problems but I was told that 350w should be enough. The only
    reason I upgraded the power is because I like my old case but the power
    didn't have the 4 wired connection for the CPU. I'll appreciate if anyone
    else concur that the power supply may be the problem.

    Eddie

    Eddie

    Eddie E, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Eddie E

    Pete Guest

    I had a 350W in my old box but I read in several places that 400W+ is best.
    But it really depends on how many other devices you have. Concerning the
    RAM, is it possible that the two sticks are in fact not the same? This is a
    shot in the dark but you never know. In the bios setup, look for CAS
    Latency. Try setting it to auto if it isn't already. If it already is set
    to auto, take it out of the auto setting, try one stick at a time as you
    have been and try different settings for the CAS Latency. First set it at
    the Kingston spec. It will be 2 or 3 or 2.5. Find the setting that works
    with that stick. Now replace it with the other stick and see if it fails.

    Pete

    Pete, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Eddie E

    Eddie E Guest

    Thank you very much for your advice Pete. I replaced the RAM with a matching
    pair that came boxed together. They are Centon Gemini Dual Channel RAM. So
    far so good. They are running at DDR400. The Kingston RAM were the same
    version but were boxed separately. I guess maybe there are differences even
    when they are packaged as the same.

    Eddie

    Eddie E, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Eddie E

    Pete Guest

    Good to hear that Eddie. I would return those two Kingston sticks and try
    to get a refund. They obviously are not the same. Did you take a look at
    the part numbers on the modules? DDR400 is PC3200 and if I'm not mistaken,
    you can't use more than one 1G DDR400 stick in this board. Two 512s yes.
    It states in the manual that for optimum performance with 2 sticks, use the
    DIMM 1 and DIMM2 slots. Your board is the MS6702, no?

    Pete, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Eddie E

    Eddie E Guest

    Pete my board is the 6702E-020. In order to get dual channel you have to
    have one stick in a green bank and one in a purple. Either slots one & three
    or slots two and four. I purchased the Kingston RAM from Circuit City and I
    already returned them. Circuit City has that no hassle return policy. After
    I purchased the Centon RAM from COMPUSA I did a Goggle search to see what I
    could find out about them. Seems like Centon is near the bottom of the line
    in performance and many people have problems with it in more powerful
    systems. This system I just built is going to last me a very long time so I
    don't want to settle on bottom line components. So I'll probably replace the
    Centon RAM also. But this time I'm going to check into the quality and
    compatibility of the next RAM chips ahead of time. Thanks again.

    Eddie

    Eddie E, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Eddie E

    patwood Guest

    I have a different problem with my K8T NEO2: it boots, but doesn't
    detect all the memory on any single given stick. I tried a 256M PC266
    Kingston ValueRam, and it detects 64M; with a 512M PC333, it detects
    256M, and all of this is with the "safe" 200 DDR setting and maximum
    wait states on the memory. When I run a standalone memory test, it
    tells me that address 0x20000 is bad but only with bit pattern
    0x00000000. Win2K can boot, but dies (no blue screen, system just
    resets) within a few minutes; memory test can run for hours without
    crashing. CPU temp never exceeds about 40C.

    By the way, how do I determine the BIOS version? The MSI web site says
    it appears on one of the boot screens, but I have yet to ever see it.
    Athlon 64 3200+ 90nm
    Antec 350W PS
    ATI Radeon 128
    Seagate 160G ATA/133

    patwood, Dec 10, 2004
  9. Eddie E

    patwood Guest

    Oh, these are double-sided sticks, and I've tried them in the first two
    slots (the green ones). They don't work when installed together (well,
    I can accept that, since they're both double sided and different
    speeds).

    patwood, Dec 10, 2004
  10. Eddie E

    Mitch Crane Guest

    You might want to consider PDP (sold under the brand name Patriot) RAM,
    if price is a concern. It seems to get good feedback from users. I
    probably would have bought more expensive big name RAM if price weren't
    an issue. I was on a budget, though, and decided to take a chance on
    their mid range PC3200 (I paid $183 for two 512MB sticks from newegg) and
    I'm very glad I did.

    Google: PDC1G3200LLK

    I see Outpost has it for $159 now.

    Mitch Crane, Dec 12, 2004
  11. Eddie E

    Eddie E Guest

    Thanks but it's too late Mitch. I already bought PQI DUAL 1GB(2X512) DDR
    PC3200. PQI is rated above many big name manufacturers at more reasonable
    prices. I'm running my system at DDR400 CAS 2-2-2-5 with no problems. I also
    ordered from Newegg.

    Eddie

    Eddie E, Dec 12, 2004
  12. I just bought this board and although I have 512 Meg of memory in it ,
    Windows reports only 256 , how come?

    Shawn Davidson, Jan 6, 2005
  13. I just flashed my bios and problem is solved , 512 megs are now showing!

    Shawn Davidson, Jan 6, 2005