K8T-Neo2 Hangs at Chipset Diagnostic

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Tamiami, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Tamiami

    Tamiami Guest

    Greetings,

    I have a newly assembled K8t-Neo2 Version 1 and the board will not
    proceed beyond the "chipset initialization" step when first powered on
    (according to the four-LED dianostic display).

    Neo2 w/Via K8T800/8237
    Athlon Fx-55
    PNY 1GB DDR400
    BFG 256OC AGP 8x
    Seasonic 550w
    Zalman 9500 cooler

    The fans all spin up (including the fan on the Zalman CPU cooler which
    is connect to the MB at cfan) and the "power-on led" lights at the front
    of the case. Then it just hangs at the chipset diagnostic step. This
    is a new one to me as it doesn't even get to reading the BIOS and my
    searches have yielded nada.

    Thank you for any ideas that I may have missed.

    Tamiami, Feb 5, 2007

  2. Tamiami

    Tamiami Guest

    Update: After endless searching, I finally found only a temporary
    solution. I reset the BIOS chip, removed the DDR memory module in DIMM3
    (leaving the first in DIMM1) and made it all the way to the AMIBIOS
    setup which detects the processor and videocard correctly. But, when I
    reinsert the DIMM3 memory module, it won't do anything again.

    Could it be the power supply? On the 12v side the Neo2 BIOS setup
    reports only 11.49v on the +12v side and 3.26 on the +3.3v side. I'm
    guessing at 11.49 for the 12v is too low.

    Tamiami, Feb 6, 2007

  3. Tamiami

    milsabords Guest

    Go to the MSI site, download the latest BIOS and flash it. Then your
    assembly should work with 2 RAM sticks.

    milsabords, Feb 9, 2007
  4. Tamiami

    Tamiami Guest