    ranger Guest

    Anyone know if there is a problem with SATA drives LED on front of
    case not working with ASUS K8V MB and Athlon 64 3200 CPU?

    ranger, Jan 28, 2004

  2. ranger

    Frank Wijers Guest

    Same here. Got the same mainboard and cpu, but no hdd leds.
    This is probably caused by the led being an IDE led and not an SATA led.
    I don't have any other explenation.

    Greetings,

    Frank Wijers

    Frank Wijers, Jan 28, 2004

  3. ranger

    Boff Guest

    Same behavior here. I just assume the LED is a function of IDE activity and
    not SATA activity.

    Boff

    Boff, Jan 28, 2004
  4. ranger

    DaveW Guest

    SATA drives in general do NOT trigger the front panel HD activity light on
    any ASUS motherboard.

    DaveW, Jan 28, 2004
  5. ranger

    Dave Guest

    They do on my A7N8X deluxe with a SATA Seagate HDD

    Dave, Jan 29, 2004
  6. ranger

    Guest Guest

    Sounds like a bug. I once had an a7v motherboard that the led HD light
    did not work at all. It was an bug in the motherboard. Heck still have
    that motherboard and it works fine. Did anyone call ASUS? I'm curious
    because I was about to order one of these boards tonight, but will put
    that on hold because I want my LED hd light!

    Thanks for the info!

    DaveW> SATA drives in general do NOT trigger the front panel HD activity light on
    DaveW> any ASUS motherboard.

    DaveW> --
    DaveW> DaveW

    Guest, Jan 29, 2004
  7. ranger

    Torben E Guest

    And on mine P4PE with raptor hd

    Torben E, Jan 29, 2004
  8. I've built 2 systems with an ASUS K8V Deluxe MB and Athlon 64 3200 CPU
    combo. In both cases, the IDE activity light functions normally. I set both
    systems up using 2 Hitachi SATA drives in a RAID0 stripe on the Promise SATA
    controller.

    Michael O'Donnell, Jan 29, 2004
  9. ranger

    Boff Guest

    I should add that I have single SATA drive on the VIA controller.

    Boff

    Boff, Jan 29, 2004
  10. ranger

    ranger Guest

    I will email ASUS and see if there is any solution. I might add that
    I had the same problem with a MSI MB also.

    ranger, Jan 30, 2004
  11. ranger

    GAYLE Guest

    This is a known problem with the K8V and the VIA S-ATA (RAID) controller.
    The IDE Activity light does not work with the VIA S-ATA (RAID) Controller.

    GAYLE, Jan 30, 2004
  12. ranger

    ranger Guest

    How about with the Promise SATA controller? Is there a downside to
    using it?

    ranger, Jan 31, 2004
  13. ranger

    Andy Howley Guest

    No, some people have said it's not as fast as the VIA controller and some
    people have said the opposite.

    I prefer the via controller however cos it's native to the chipset. However
    it's more prone to falling over when overclocking apparently.

    Andy

    Andy Howley, Jan 31, 2004
  14. ranger

    ranger Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I will probably stay with the VIA controller
    unless someone really feel differently. For anyone interested--there
    is a software program I found on PCWorld that puts something in the
    taskbar that shows HD activity--even the SATA. Its called" hdi".

    ranger, Jan 31, 2004
  15. ranger

    GAYLE Guest

    I use the Promise controller. I've spent a couple days benching both, and
    the Promise is Faster, and works just fine with my Overclock. The VIA
    controller, is prone to serious corruption, and failure when overclocking,
    and with all the problems I've been reading about at viaarena.com, I'd
    rather stay away from it.

    GAYLE, Feb 1, 2004
  16. ranger

    ranger Guest

    ranger, Feb 1, 2004
  17. ranger

    Lost One Guest

    K8V with a Seagate 120 SATA

    I *also* have my old SCSI drives and controller transplanted

    adaptec SCSI 19160
    -which has its own drive light pin output on it

    take a guess...

    the 19160 can detect activity on my SATA drive and the light works
    perfectly normally for both my SCSI drives AND my new SATA drive

    I love it.

    go figure

    Lost One, Feb 21, 2004
  18. ranger

    Arrowhead Guest

    Not likely since this is more of a hardware design oversight.

    Arrowhead, May 2, 2004
  19. ranger

    ranger Guest

    ranger, May 3, 2004