K8V SE Deluxe + Antec Case = no power fan speed and no front 1394?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Centurion, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Centurion

    Centurion Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a 1 month old K8V SE Deluxe and Antec SX1040-II case. This
    combination works really well and the extra cooling fans are a nice bonus.

    However I have 2 problems which I'd like a little feedback on before I raise
    it with the vendor:

    1. The PSU has a sense wire for the motherboard so I can detect/monitor the
    PSU fan speed. This doesn't work. In fact, no fan I plug into the
    motherboard's "Power Fan" connector detects the speed. Yes, I'm using fans
    with the sense wire that I know work - I can get a fan speed using the
    "Case Fan" connector on the same motherboard. Have I missed some funky
    BIOS feature or do other people have problems with this too?

    2. The front FireWire connector doesn't work at all. Nothing I plug it into
    the front FireWire port is detected. The USB2 connectors work, and yes,
    I've tested the FireWire devices on the hard-wired connector on the back -
    success :) Seems the wiring for the front FireWire port on my Antec case
    might be wrong. The K8V came with an extra bracket+lead for a 2nd rear
    FireWire port - this one works fine. Just the case FireWire is screwy.

    Any ideas folks? Looks like the mobo power fan sense is fubar, but I might
    be able to re-wire the case's FireWire connector. I'd really prefer to
    keep the case, it took me ages to wire everything up nice and neat. The
    mobo OTOH I can swap in-and-out relatively easily.

    Cheers,

    James

    Centurion, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Centurion

    Paul Guest

    The nice picture in your Asus manual, shows the board uses the
    Winbond-usa.com W83697HF. The datasheet is here:

    http://winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/view.phtml?name=PCIC
    http://winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/pdfs/PCIC/w83697hf.pdf

    On page 100 of the document, you can see there are only two
    fan speed sensor connections. That would explain why the third
    connector has nothing connected to the speed pin.

    As for the Firewire, I have several Antec cases, and on one of them,
    the Firewire data pins are reversed. Something like TPA+ and TPA-
    are swapped with each other. TPB+ and TPB- are swapped with each
    other. This is not fatal, and shouldn't burn anything, but I doubt
    Firewire was designed with inversion detection for problems like
    this. (Watch out if VP/VG are miswired! Expensive Firewire
    toys could die.) Antec has had the odd web page, explaining
    their mistakes, but they redesign their web site enough, that
    links to these pages are dead.

    Since case manufacturers in general have a bad record with respect
    to miswiring the case front panel, I recommend using an ohmmeter
    and readily available pinout info on the Internet, to buzz out
    and verify exactly what wiring is in the case. I'm so sick of
    miswired cases, that when I got my Antec Sonata, I simply ripped
    out the module that came with the case, meaning three less cables
    dangling around loose inside :) Since my computers live on top of
    my computer desk, the connectors on the back are readily accessible
    when I need them. My desk is huge - I built it myself :)

    Many case manufacturers continue to ship cases with USB 1.1 only
    wiring on the front panel. Even though we are firmly in a USB 2.0
    age, they insist on shipping crappy wiring. Caveat emptor.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Centurion

    JBM Guest

    I plugged a fan into the power fan connector on my K8V-SE DLX
    MB and it didn't show the speed either. I looked thru the BIOS and it
    doesn't have any settings for the power fan. The other two you can
    set to ignore. Also the manual doesn't show any settings for it either.

    Both fire wire ports work on my MB.

    Jim M

    JBM, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Centurion

    rstlne Guest

    I love my antec case (tho it's not the same as the one you have)..
    mine had some serious problems (that antec didnt want to talk about)..
    The notch for relasing my front panel wasnt added on the units side door..
    so when the door was on the front panel couldnt be removed (in fact, it put
    the front panel in such a bind that I am lucky it didnt break).. so I had to
    cut my case..
    My (I think) usb cables were incorrectly labled too.. They simply sent me an
    email saying "here is the lables you have on your wires" and I said no and
    told them what I had and they told me I was wrong lol..

    I KNOW that many of their old front pcb's for the usb stuff had to be
    replaced because it didnt work with usb2.0 but I havent ever heard of any
    firewire problems (is the stuff working from the asus firewire connector?)..
    You might have to check their connections against the antec one to figgure
    out the correct sequence..

    rstlne, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Centurion

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Not sure about the fan Connector...I have the same board and all three work
    fine (One CPU fan, One Pwr Fan and one Chassis Fan). If you have Cool 'n
    Quiet enabled, not all fans will run at all times. When the Mobo/case heat
    reaches the predetermined limit for each fan, then the fans will turn.

    On the P160, the front Firewire pins are labeled wrong...here is the answer
    as posted on the ANTEC website:

    *What is the correct color code for the firewire connection from the front
    panel?*
    The color code for the firewire connection is as follows:
    VP = white
    VG = black/white and black
    TPA- = blue
    TPA+ = yellow
    TPB- = green
    TPB+ = yellow/black

    Use this as your guide and your front Firewire should work.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Centurion

    Centurion Guest

    Thanks for that. I did the re-wire (all the TP?+/- were opposite to the
    mobo header) but still no joy. I think I'll just rewire a whole new lead
    straight from the front so it matches the Asus lead. No biggie, I'm
    comfortable with soldering irons and wire cutters :)

    James

    Centurion, Jul 6, 2004
  7. Centurion

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Let me know how it goes...would like to know what the correct pin out is
    myself.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 6, 2004
  8. Centurion

    Paul Guest

    If you are handy with a soldering iron, you are also handy with
    an ohmmeter. Just grab a wire, and then use the ohmmeter to sense
    which Firewire connector pin it is joined to. I figured out the
    miswiring this way on my own, without ever connecting a Firewire
    device to it. It was only later that I found out that Antec had
    a web page admitting the mistake.

    Page 37 of this document, has the nicest picture of the Firewire
    pinout. The rest of the pinouts on the web, don't indicate which
    view of the connector you are looking at. This one is much
    clearer. (Page 34 has the USB pinout.)

    http://developer.apple.com/document...ntosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4Sept02/PowerMacG4.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 6, 2004
  9. Centurion

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Paul

    Thanks for the catch on this one....I have printed the two pages and it
    now has a permanent place in my reference folder...

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 6, 2004
  10. Centurion

    David C Guest

    Same exact problem with my board. It does not display the fan speed.

    David C, Jul 6, 2004
  11. Centurion

    Centurion Guest

    Thanks for the link - makes life easier :) As for the multi-meter
    suggestion, that is the first thing I plan on doing (except using
    continuity instead of impedance). However, the Asus port has 10 wires into
    9 pins (2 earth's are connected to same pin), but the Antec lead only has 6
    wires. I need to map out what "wires" are missing from the Antec lead and
    whether or not they are significant - my gut is telling me the extra wires
    on the Asus header are simply earth wires, but I haven't checked closely
    either.

    James

    Centurion, Jul 6, 2004
  12. Centurion

    Paul Guest

    The extra grounds on the Asus pinout are for crosstalk reduction.
    The grounds separate the "A" diff pair from the "B" diff pair.
    If twisted pair wires are used and there is some physical separation
    between the wires, then using isolation grounds isn't as important.
    So, whether the grounds count, depends on what kind of cabling
    is used to carry the signals. (Isolation grounds are why the 80 wire
    IDE cable exists - 40 of the wires are ground and those ground
    signals isolate the data signals from one another.)

    Can you test your Firewire peripheral some how, to see whether
    the interface is still alive on it ? I sure hope the power
    didn't get reversed or something. Since most Firewire devices
    are expensive, the thought of "case wiring roulette" would make
    me want to avoid the issue entirely. That is why I removed my
    front panel assembly from my Antec Sonata - now there is no
    temptation to use it :)

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 7, 2004
  13. Centurion

    Centurion Guest

    Yep - understand that :) Did a Ba. Eng. (Comp. Eng.) before switching to
    Computer Science. ;)
    The data wires were reversed but not the power. My digital video camera is
    still alive and I can read/control it from the hard-wired 1394 port on the
    motherboard just fine.
    Heheh - yeh, I'm becoming a little cautious about all this after reading the
    spec on 1394. It would be easy to nuke the device by routing the power to
    TP?+. That would hurt, not just my expensive digital camera, but also my
    wallet!

    Thanks for all your help Paul. I'll try to remember to port back the
    results once I get around to the rewiring :)

    James

    Centurion, Jul 8, 2004