    this m/b ?

    I have XP Pro SP2 .

    B.N.

    admiral_victory, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Normally in your case, you press F8 to access the bootable devices, select
    and ENTER, then *immediately* press F8 again. That always works for me.

    John

    Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

    John Hollingsworth, Oct 24, 2004

  3. admiral_victory

    RonK Guest

    If you are using a usb keyboard, try with a ps2 keyboard.

    If your keyboard is a multimedia or office type, make sure the function key
    for the Fkeys is in the right position.

    RonK, Oct 24, 2004
  4. admiral_victory

    Mike Guest

    I also get the option to select a boot device if F8 is pressed, the answer is
    simply to press F5 instead of F8

    ie.
    Pressing F5 will also bring up the safe mode selection screen.

    HTH

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 24, 2004
  5. select >and ENTER, then *immediately* press F8 again. That always works
    for me.

    I also get the option to select a boot device if F8 is pressed, the
    answer is
    simply to press F5 instead of F8

    ie.
    Pressing F5 will also bring up the safe mode selection screen.

    HTH

    Mike
    [/QUOTE]
    So it does - never noticed that before!

    John Hollingsworth, Oct 24, 2004

  6. Thanks - that gets me into the Safe Mode OK .

    When , however , I select "Safe Mode With Command Prompt" and then get
    into the Windows dirctory and type "DIR /p" I don't see any of the
    Uninstall Folders shown.

    These are of the form "$NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$" when viewed in Windows
    Explorer.

    I notice that the first two <DIR>'s shown in the WINDOWS Folder are
    indicated by one full stop and then two full stops .

    Are these the Folders containing the Uninstall stuff ? If so , how are
    they accessed ?

    B.N.

    admiral_victory, Oct 25, 2004
  7. Don't know offhand, but you would normally access them via Control
    Panel/add&remove programs in normal mode.

    Sorry.

    John Hollingsworth, Oct 25, 2004
  8. admiral_victory

    Mike Guest

    Easier to use F5 to get into safe mode with this board as in my earlier posting.
    More than likely they have the hidden attribute set! Use the Attrib dos
    command to unhide them.
    Type Attrib /? for info on how to use.
    The single period . is in fact the previous directory and .. is 2 directories.

    Try it... go into a directory and the type cd. (1 dot) it will take you back up
    the tree one directory level, 2 dots after the cd command will take you 2 levels
    or back to the root directory if only 1 level deep.

    We use to use shortcut commands such as this when dos was king.
    No...they are just index markers to previous directories. see above.

    HTH

    Regards

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 25, 2004
  9. It does and thanks to you and all the others who've replied.

    Since posting this thread here I've received advice from another
    source and have now managed to delete the Folder in question by
    staying in Windows , r.cl. on the Folder , selecting
    Properties>Security tab , then , giving myself Full Permissions , was
    this able to delete the Folder in question.

    Hope this also helps others.

    B.N.

    admiral_victory, Oct 25, 2004
  10. admiral_victory

    m.marien Guest

    These are the Windows update uninstall directories. The KBxxxxxx refers to
    the Knowledge Base for the update.
    Correct - almost. cd . will get you nowhere. The single stop is the current
    directory. The double stop is the previous (parent directory). Same thing in
    unix/linux. To run a command in the current directory you have to use
    ../command.

    m.marien, Oct 26, 2004
  11. admiral_victory

    Mike Guest

    You are of course absolutely correct.... ah well I was nearly right..heheh

    Bit of old age creeping in I'm thinking. ie. brain storm! :)))

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 27, 2004
  12. admiral_victory

    m.marien Guest

    It sticks in my mind because of a bug in the old Windows 3.0 File Manager.
    If you selected the entire directory (ctrl A) to delete, it recursively
    obeyed the stop stop. In other words, when it finished deleting the current
    directory, it moved to the parent and continued there. Those were exciting
    days days when that happened. Perhaps stop stop is the wrong term to use as
    it didn't work that way at all.

    They don't show the dot or dot dot in most GUI file managers anymore. An
    interesting bug in Firefox. Go to any ftp site and double click the "Up to
    higher level directory" and few times. Then check the URL.

    m.marien, Oct 27, 2004