    a bug related to the SP2... Do I need to uninstall it? Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    /MM

    MM, Nov 18, 2004

  2. MM

    Paul Guest

    Try running the system with one stick of RAM. This could
    be a memory problem. If you are using two sticks of RAM,
    they go in slot 1 and slot 3. See "Table 1" in the manual
    and look at the 18th line in the table. That line is the
    best config for two sticks of RAM. When using a single
    stick, Slot 3 (furthest from the processor) is the one
    to use.

    Get a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
    and make a boot floppy by using the memtest86 program.
    Run the memory test overnight. The second test to run,
    is get a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org . Use the
    "Torture Test" option, to test that the processor and
    memory work properly together. Both of these tests
    should be completely error free in an overnight test,
    before you can conclude there are no memory problems.

    If those two tests are clean, then the next thing to
    consider is a software driver has a bug.

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 18, 2004