K8WE (S2895) LSI onboard SCSI Win x64 and Sony Tape Retrospect

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Jim, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I'm having a problem with my SCSI backup program Dantz Retrospect 7 and
    Windows x64 with my Sony AITi520/s drive in creating an ISO to use for
    disaster recovery. I have Retrospect on another machine, and I have no
    problems with it. However on my Tyan machine I cannot creat the
    recovery ISO because Dantz Retrospect cannot find the Windows
    Installation CD. I have a Plextor PC716-A drive (actually two of
    them). When I go to create the recovery CD Retrospect needs to copy
    files from the Windows CD. Unfortunately Retrospect cannot see the CD
    even when it is in the CD drive. I think this is some sort of a
    conflict, because once I exit Retrospect I can read from the CD fine.
    Also, the CD/DVD drive changes to a CD drive in Device Manager when I
    am trying to create the recovery CD. I think this is a more general
    problem, but I don't understand it? I don't know whether it is unique
    to x64 or unique to Dantz Retrospect, but I suspect something else is
    going on here. One other oddity, which may be related, is that the
    tape drive is a SCSI ID 0. I thought only hard drives could take SCSI
    ID 0, but the tape seems to be recognized fine in Device Manager, and
    it is working fine in Dantz Retrospect.

    Thank you for any help!

    Jim, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Jim

    Ward Taylor Guest

    Hi Jim
    You need to tell retrospect not to manage the drive that you are trying
    to read the windows cd from. In retrospect click on configure, then
    devices, then the environment tab. Right-click the drive that you would
    like to use to read the cd and click ignore id. Stop and restart
    retrospect, now you should be able to use the the drive while in retrospect.
    Cheers

    Ward Taylor, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Ward,

    Thanks very much! I am having other DVD problems, which may be related
    to the *same* problem. I'll turn them off in Retrospect and see
    whether that fixes them.

    Thanks again! I have wasted many hours on this.

    Have a *great* day! :)

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 12, 2006