K9A2GM-FIH Motherboard Front Panel Sound not working

Discussion in 'MSI' started by arnieb, May 25, 2009.

  1. arnieb

    arnieb Guest

    Hello,
    I know exactly what the problem is. I just don't know what is the
    best way to solve it. I did try some searching, so I apologize in
    advance if there is a known solution. My motherboard has an HD
    compliant connector for the front panel audio inputs. The front panel
    audio plug on my case is AC97 compliant, so my assumption is that the
    jack detect feature is not working.

    I checked the MSI website and they listed a similar problem in
    the FAQ section. Their solution was to change the BIOS option from HD
    to AC97. So I thought, "Great! Easy fix." Of course, there is no
    option in the BIOS to change from HD to AC97.

    Anyway, is there a simple fix to allow an AC97 compliant input to
    work with a system that assumes an HD compliant input?

    Thanks in advance.

    Arnie

    arnieb, May 25, 2009

  2. arnieb

    Paul Guest

    With the RealTek driver installed, check the Realtek setup control panels.
    There is a tool icon (looks like a double ended wrench), and you might
    find an "AC97 front panel support" thing there. For example, the downloadable
    version of your motherboard manual, has a picture of the dialog box on
    page A-13. Something about the "Disable front panel jack detection".
    Try ticking the box next to that.

    Paul

    Paul, May 26, 2009

  3. arnieb

    Horst Franke Guest

    Sorry Paul, WHAT are you talking about?
    WHERE should anyone do that clicking?
    Please be more specific!
    Horst

    Horst Franke, May 27, 2009
  4. arnieb

    Paul Guest

    Horst - see this line. It is very specific.

    "For example, the downloadable version of your motherboard manual,
    has a *picture* of the dialog box on page A-13."

    If the OP examines page A-13, it will be obvious what to do. There
    is a printed manual, which comes with every motherboard. The OP can also
    download a PDF version of the manual, if the printed manual is lost.
    Unzip this - go to page A-13 of the PDF file inside.

    http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/E7501v1.0.zip

    And just for you Horst, because you've been a good boy, here is a picture.
    Because RealTek is free to change the labeling of this dialog, there
    is no guarantee this picture is accurate. The label at the top of this
    one shows "Global Connector Settings", while the motherboard manual
    shows it as "Connector Settings". Each release of driver, may change
    the location, text, or operating instructions for using the driver.

    http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/professionalpc/FAQ/Diagnostics/REaltekHDA.jpg

    "Disable front panel jack detection"

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 28, 2009
  5. arnieb

    Horst Franke Guest

    Sorry Paul, but on page A-13 there're only connector settings?
    Ok Paul, you may be right.
    Let the OP check this setting and us waiting for his response.
    Horst

    Horst Franke, May 30, 2009