Kayak XA-s 7/500 MT: 2nd CPU inserted but not recognized

Discussion in 'HP' started by Alexander Farber, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. [sorry, I've by mistake posted it to comp.os.linux.hardware first]

    Hello,

    I've always wished to have a dual-CPU PC (to install OpenBSD on it)
    and finally my employer gives me 3 HP Kayak XA-s 7/500 minitowers,
    each carrying a single Intel Pentium III CPU (500/512/100/2.0V s1)
    and having an "AMP"-thingie inserted into the 2nd CPU slot on the
    motherboard.

    As a quick test (I intend to buy 3 more CPUs on Ebay later) I have
    inserted a Pentium from one minitower inplace of the AMP-thingie on
    another minitower and the latter still boots fine, but doesn't
    recognize the 2nd CPU. The PhoenixBIOS 4.0 6.0.J white screen prints

    Processor 1: Pentium III
    Processor 2: Not Present

    1) Do I have to switch some jumper on the mainboard?

    2) Where could I find the mainboard layout (is it Intel 440 BX)? At
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...askId=130&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=32579
    I've only found the layout for a single-CPU mainboard sofar...

    3) Will every Pentium III 500/512/100/2.0V s1 I see on Ebay work
    there as the 2nd CPU?

    4) What's the highest speed of P3 I could insert there, 600 MHz?
    (I think I'll stick with 500 MHz anyway, but just of curiosity)

    Thank you
    Alex

    Alexander Farber, Sep 28, 2005

  2. I guess I'm missing a "VRM". I wonder, what type of VRM should I look
    for?

    Alexander Farber, Sep 29, 2005

  3. I'm looking for the VRM type which would fit into an HP
    Kayak XA-s 7/500 MT (D7984N, Intel P3 500/512/2.0V s1)

    Do I have to buy it from HP (I live in Germany) or are there
    maybe any universal VRM's (and what should I watch for please)?

    Alexander Farber, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Alexander Farber

    Dewaine Chan Guest

    The CPU's need to ahve matching Step (Look for the SLxxx designation at
    the end of the CPU info). If I remember right, your BX Chipset Mobo will
    take upto the 650MHz Slot one CPU's.

    Dewaine

    Dewaine Chan, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Alexander Farber

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not sure about max CPU speed. IIRC, the 600MHz 100MHz FSB Slot 1 Pentium III
    has an operating voltage of 2.0v. Above 600MHz, the voltage drops off to
    1.6-something or 1.7-something, which the motherboard will not likely support.

    Intel always recommends that multi-processor systems use CPUs of the same
    stepping, to guarantee the same timing of microcode inside the processors.
    Rather than running a software utility to see the stepping, it is 1000% easier
    to match up the S-code inscribed on the processor cartridge along with the speed
    and cache information.

    As for VRMs, they are somewhat generic, provided they support the voltage of the
    processor. Unfortunately, VRMs for Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and Pentium III all
    have the same pinout. IIRC, a VRM for a 2.0v processor is known as VRM 8.3.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 29, 2005
  6. No, it doesn't. Having the same stepping is _recommended_ by intel but
    definitely not required...
    The chipset doesn't limit the CPU, the i440BX can handle 1GHz and more
    easily. Which CPUs work and which don't depends on the voltage
    regulators (especially the ones that are soldered to the board) and the
    BIOS...

    IIRC the Kayak XA supports up to 2x 550MHz maximum...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Sep 29, 2005
  7. Alexander Farber

    Ben Myers Guest

    To be even more precise, the Intel 440BX chipset is designed to support up to
    1GB of memory, and no more. See the following URL:

    http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/mature/450_440.htm

    Motherboard or BIOS design limitations may reduce the maximum amount of memory
    supported by a system... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 29, 2005
  8. On the seventh day, Alexander Farber wrote...
    any VRM for Katmai PIIIs should fit. Ben quoted VRM spec. 8.3 for
    reference. A VRM that should fit is available here:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W17A322FB (not related to seller).

    You might have luck with Katmai cpus with as high as 600, maybe even 650MHz
    (but they are so rare that they are so expensive, you'd rather buy a
    full-featured coppermine-compatible system instead). You might get a pair
    of Coppermines to work (as I did with my E60) with an annoying error
    message at POST about missing microcode, but that will also mean that a
    stable use of the system is just not possible in all instances (as
    microcode fixes some errors in the cpu).

    Although not required for a working system, it is definitely a plus to have
    matching CPUs (i.e. the same Sspec-No.). It may also lead to a more stable
    system or, to put it the other way round: non-matching cpus can make your
    system unstable. I've already run a P1-90MHz and a P1-133MHz at 120MHz, but
    I would definitely discourage you from doing that. If you do use different
    CPUs (they still have to match in core and MHz, though) and both cpus'
    microcode is known, you'd be better off putting the newest cpu in slot#1 as
    this gets the microcode loaded for both cpus. But have a check on google on
    that topic, I am not sure about it.

    Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=, Oct 9, 2005
  9. On the seventh day, Christian Dürrhauer wrote...
    there are no 650MHz Katmai cpus, sorry about that. The 600MHz versions are
    those so expensive.

    Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=, Oct 9, 2005
  10. On the seventh day, Christian Dürrhauer wrote...
    this is exactly the opposite from what intel is telling ;-)
    Put the CPU with the lowest feature set in slot #1 (bootstrap processor).
    Compare ftp://download.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/specupdt/24445355.pdf
    page 4.

    HTH

    Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=, Oct 25, 2005