    Anybody did the upgrade succesfully?
    Installed memory is capable of 100MHz.

    Gereon Wenzel

    Gereon Wenzel, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Gereon Wenzel

    Ben Myers Guest

    Gereon,

    The answer to your question lies in the chipset on the motherboard. If the
    chipset is an Intel 440LX, the system is limited to 66MHz front-side bus. If
    the chipset is Intel 440BX, 100MHz is possible somehow.

    Either look at the devices shown in the Device Manager of the System icon in the
    Control Panel or simply look at the chips on the motherboard itself.

    If the system is limited to 66MHz, you have some chance of speeding it up by
    using a Socket 370 Celeron installed in a Slotket converter, with a mximum of
    533MHz... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Hi Ben,

    True, but the Kayak XA-s is BX based and capable of 100MHz.
    It has no Jumpers for the bus Clock, but for the multiplication factor
    only.
    No idea what technique is used by the BIOS to determine the bus clock?
    Didn't have to look, I replaced the board myself.

    BTW the problem is solved!
    It may has been caused but slow/bad coded memory modules?
    Installed the 350 just again and got some system beep codes.
    Replaced memory by known good branded 100MHz modules (the noname ones
    installed had
    100MHz stickers as well), set clear CMOS switch and machine came up
    at 350MHz luckily.

    Now to find another matching VRM...

    Gereon

    Gereon Wenzel, Feb 2, 2004