    identical cpus?

    Thanks in advance for your answers

    Rainer Krey

    Rainer Krey, Nov 12, 2003

  2. The max listed in the pdf-manual is 450MHz,
    but partsurfer has a 600MHz Model as well (D7992N)
    Check your VRM, the PII Klamath CPUs (233-333) use 2.8V like the PPro,
    (This can be done by any VRM)
    the later Deschutes and Katmai need less Voltage, but more current.
    This means you will need a VRM according to intel 8.2 specs.
    (search google for intel_vrm_spec-8.2.pdf)
    Looking for two of these myself and they seem to be hard to find.
    Check http://partsurfer.hp.com for 0950-2837
    Its the origianal HP part #for the Delta 05S2020A
    Best is to use two CPUs of exact same hardware revision,
    but usually it works with same type and model.

    Gereon

    Gereon Wenzel, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Rainer Krey

    Ben Myers Guest

    Intel recommends matched steppings for multi-processor configurations: "same
    frequency speed, cache size, and runs the same system bus speed." Processors
    having different steppings can have minor timing variations in microcode,
    leading to system lockups and other hard-to-diagnose failures.

    Quoted from the Intel web site...

    "How to Match Processor Steppings

    The easiest way to match steppings is to compare the 5-character test
    specification numbers on the top of Pentium II Xeon processors. The number
    starts with an "S" and is followed by 4 characters (for example, "SL2RH"). "

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Rainer Krey

    Ben Myers Guest

    The Intel test specification number is often called the sSpec.

    Altho the quoted reference talks about Xeon processors, Intel uses the sSpec
    across all of its processors, beginning a long time ago with the Socket 5
    Pentium processors... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Rainer Krey

    Rainer Krey Guest

    The 950-2837 is exactly the VRM that is currently installed. So I need only
    one more VRM. I'll have a look at ebay (Yesterday there were 7 suitable
    modules, but they are all gone now...)

    Thank You for your Answer

    Rainer

    Rainer Krey, Nov 13, 2003