Kaz Hirai won't say exactly when PS4 (yes PS4) will come out, but obviously it'll be sooner than 10

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Air Raid Mach2.5, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. http://www.tinyurl.com/jfspk

    Kaz Hirai:
    "The pricing that we announced for the PlayStation 3 is a price that
    ultimately offers fantastic value to the consumers. I think that we are
    offering a very good value for the consumers. We look at our products
    having a 10-year life cycle, which we've proven with the PlayStation.
    Therefore, the PlayStation 3 is going to be a console that's going to
    be with you again for 10 years."

    "We're not going to ask the consumers to suddenly buy another
    PlayStation console in five years time, and basically have their
    investment go by the wayside. So for all those reasons, I think at $599
    we're offering a very good value to the consumers.
    Even if there was a consumer who decided to buy the PlayStation 3
    perhaps as a Blu-ray player, I think that they will quickly realize the
    potential and the entertainment value of the fantastic content in true
    (high definition)."

    Are you saying that there won't be a PlayStation 4 within five years?

    Kaz Hirai: "Well, I think that if you look at the history of the way
    we've managed our console business, we always try to hit a 10-year life
    cycle. I can't speculate on when we might come out with a new console
    after PlayStation 3."

    obviously PS4 will come out between 6 to 7 years after PS3.

    much like the time between the release of PS1 and PS2

    or the time between the release of PS2 and PS3.

    PS4 ETA: 2012-2013.

    meanwhile, we'll be enjoying Xbox1080 games for years before PS4's
    release.

    what will be the point of owning a PS4?

    CELL2 ??

    Holographic Versatile Disc ??

    the "privilege" of paying eight hundred ninety-nine dollars ????

    LMAO

    Air Raid Mach2.5, Aug 29, 2006

  2. Air Raid Mach2.5

    TheGame Guest

    The bigger question is will Sony give M$ another headstart with the
    next next-gen console as they doing now? If yes, M$ could have an even
    larger lead and reach a larger audience, as 360 is doing when compared
    to XB. If no, then PS3 prob won't have a shorter lifespan than PS2.
    Personally, I don't mind spending around $350 every 4.5 years for a new
    console. Gamers' expectations from grafix, gameplay, online/offline
    gaming, etc increase each year.

    TheGame, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Air Raid Mach2.5

    timeOday Guest

    A 10 year lifespan for PS3 does not mean 10 years until PS4, it just
    means products have overlapping lifespans. I wouldn't be surprised at
    all if I'm still using my PS3 in three years from now, despite the PS3's
    existence.

    timeOday, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Air Raid Mach2.5

    Bill Cable Guest

    If the next xbox comes out in 2 or 3 years following microsoft's
    current pattern, and the next Playstation doesn't come out for 6, the
    two consoles won't really be competing directly with one another. They
    wouldn't be part of the same generation. That'd really change the
    dynamic in the industry.

    --
    Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
    http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

    Please ask your provider to add:
    alt.games.video.sony-playstation3

    Bill Cable, Aug 30, 2006
  5. There's room for 3 consoles, just as long as they share the wealth, and
    rotate positions on the top charts every 3 generations.

    I just wonder what Nintendo will bring to the table next generation. I think
    it might end up being that VR gadget from like a year ago that everyone
    thought was the Rev,,,Wii

    Brenden D. Chase, Aug 30, 2006
  6. Air Raid Mach2.5

    Paul Heslop Guest

    cuteness? :O)

    Paul Heslop, Aug 30, 2006
  7. VR Nintendogs...

    dont anger him or he'll bite you.

    Brenden D. Chase, Aug 31, 2006
  8. Air Raid Mach2.5

    Paul Heslop Guest

    I bet even their rottweilers were cute

    Paul Heslop, Aug 31, 2006
  9. Air Raid Mach2.5

    Chris F Guest

    get a new bloody newsreader, Paul!!!!!! :)

    Chris F, Aug 31, 2006
  10. Air Raid Mach2.5

    Paul Heslop Guest

    heh heh, don't blame me, blame trolls who insist on massive subject
    lines.

    Paul Heslop, Aug 31, 2006