KB question : HP zv5000 series : Spilled rum

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Richard, Apr 14, 2005.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I spilled some rum on my notebook (HP zv5235us) last weekend (hadn't even
    taken a sip yet, so it's no excuse).
    I immediately disconnected power, pulled the battery, wiped up what I could,
    then disassembled it (good thing I hadn't a sip yet).
    I pulled the keyboard and wiped what I could, then blew compressed air on it
    in the direction of the spill. There was only a little moisture (a couple of
    drops) inside the computer, which I wiped up.
    I waited 24 hours to reassemble. When I did, everything appeared to work
    fine. But now, a few days later, my left-side CTRL, FN, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK,
    TAB and ESC keys are sticking. None are staying down, yet, but the sticking
    is audible. The CTRL and ESC are the worst and you can see that they are
    returning up slowly.

    Is there a way to clean this?

    Can anyone recommend a good source for a new keyboard if this one becomes
    unusable?

    Thanks in advance!

    Richard, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Richard

    tc Guest

    Its the sugar in the rum that is causing the problem. remove the keyboard
    and rinse with water. Blow out the excess and allow to dry thoroughly before
    reinstalling.

    Terry

    tc, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Richard

    Dan Guest

    I've heard of flushing out the keyboard with distilled water to wash out
    whatever was dropped on it. Just make sure its completely dry when its
    reassembled, and you should be good to go.

    Dan, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Richard

    Notan Guest

    Simply drying the keyboard probably won't work.

    The sugars in rum need to be dissolved with liquid. Otherwise, you'll
    be left with nothing but a sticky mess.

    As Dan suggested, distilled water's probably your best bet.

    Good Luck!

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Richard

    Albert Wong Guest

    to make sure the sugar dissolves, use hot water. It also helps speed up
    drying.

    Albert Wong, Apr 14, 2005
  6. Richard

    BillW50 Guest

    Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:15:18 GMT

[...]

    Everybody so far recommends water. I've been doing this for about 30
    years and I don't trust water in any form for this task. As water could
    be trapped in the switches for many months. I'd recommend Isopropyl
    alcohol. You can purchase it at almost any drug store. You might get by
    with Rubbing alcohol, but it has other additives like lubricants.
    Although probably not enough to harm anything. Years ago, liquid Freon
    was the best for electronic cleaning. Although since the CFC ban, you
    can't get it anymore.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    BillW50, Apr 14, 2005
  7. Your chances of success are very, very slim (but not zero).

    Flush it with water. You might even want to immerse it for an hour or
    two, rinse, immerse again, then rinse a LOT. As to the water, the
    cleaner the better. Distilled is best, but you might need gallons of
    it. I really doubt that the difference between tap water and distilled
    water is going to change the outcome.

    The drying time will be LONG (days at least, could be weeks).

    Chances of success are very slim

    Barry Watzman, Apr 15, 2005
  8. Richard

    J. Clarke Guest

    Just let it dry for a week or so and rotate it through several different
    orientations before you start up the machine again. Be a good idea to pull
    the hard disk and set it aside--it's the only thing in the machine that can
    be seriously damaged by clean water, but even that's unlikely unless you
    immerse the machine.
    Denatured would be a better bet--it's the same chemistry as rum but with a
    little bit of toxin added for tax purposes. Mix it with water so that you
    are getting both the alcohol- and the water- soluble components (everything
    that is soluble in water is not soluble in ethanol and vice versa).
    More likely with alcohol than with water.
    Read the label. Some is, some isn't.

    J. Clarke, Apr 15, 2005
  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Thanks for all the answers!
    I am hesitant to use water. It looks like there are a lot of tiny places
    where it could get trapped. But I imagine it is no worse than the rum that
    is in there.
    Does anyone think that an isopropyl alcohol might work to remove the
    contacts? It looks like all of the parts are esentially 'taped' in place.
    Could they come loose?
    If I stop somewhere to get some electronics cleaner, would that be
    esentially the same as alcohol?
    Searching around online, it seems a replacement keyboard could run between
    $100-$150.
    I suppose I'll call HP first and see if the warranty covers it. I hate
    calling customer support, though. The connection is always bad, and I can't
    understand a word they say any better than they seem to understand me.

    Richard, Apr 15, 2005
  10. Oh DO remove the keyboard to wash it.

    Denatured and Isopropyl ARE largely water, unless you purchase higher
    strength stuff.
    It is likely more aggressive, made to remove flux residue.
    Rum is rather benign IMHO, it is the sugar that is getting sticky. So
    water / alcohol is the ticket.

    To dry, place in washing machine between towels... spin cycle. place
    under heat lamp or in oven at low (!) setting to chase water and alcohol.

    Fritz Oppliger, Apr 18, 2005
  11. Richard

    J. Clarke Guest

    Maybe where you come from.
    Some is, some is intended for cleaning spills and the like.

    J. Clarke, Apr 19, 2005