    dorayme Guest

    Is there a key command to get the downloads window to show up in
    (at least) Tiger?

    dorayme, Jun 28, 2010

  2. dorayme

    Guest Guest

    in what app?

    assuming you mean safari, cmd-opt-l

    Guest, Jun 28, 2010

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    I did not know it was app related, just thought there is this one
    downloads window that hides somewhere on the machine and is
    called out by all sorts of apps when downloading stuff, very
    useful with the brilliant magnifier icon that clicking gets you
    to view where the file as been downloaded - it is selected in
    Finder directory window.

    About cmd-opt-1 in Safari, btw, it does nothing on my machine
    when in Safari?

    dorayme, Jun 28, 2010
  4. dorayme

    Guest Guest

    the letter l, not 1.

    Guest, Jun 28, 2010
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    This one gets me the web inspector from my Develop menu.

    dorayme, Jun 28, 2010
  6. dorayme

    Ian Gregory Guest

    If you click on "Window" in the menu bar when Safari is active do you
    get a menu which includes an item called "Downloads"? It should list a
    keyboard shortcut next to it. On Snow Leopard it is opt-cmd-L and it
    works for me. To get the Web Inspector I have to hit opt-cmd-I. Don't
    know about Tiger.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Jun 28, 2010
  7. dorayme

    Philo D Guest

    Misunderstood again ...
    jklmn the one in the middle is l , we want this one.
    GHIJK the one in the middle is I, we do not want this one

    Philo D, Jun 28, 2010
  8. the downloads folder is in the user (AKA: home) folder. So if you press
    command-shift-h to open the home folder, you'll see the downloads folder.
    You can then make an alias of it on the dock, or in the sidebar (or both).

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 28, 2010
  9. in what app?

    assuming you mean safari, cmd-opt-l[/QUOTE]

    That does not show the Downloads folder; it shows Safari's downloads window.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 28, 2010
  10. This one gets me the web inspector from my Develop menu.[/QUOTE]

    He wrote "l" (pronounced "ell"), not "I" (pronounced "eye"). In any event,
    it does not show the downloads folder, but rather shows Safari's downloads
    window.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 28, 2010
  11. dorayme

    Ian Gregory Guest

    That does not show the Downloads folder; it shows Safari's downloads window.[/QUOTE]

    But that is what the OP asked for! (as can be seen in the text you
    quoted above).

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Jun 28, 2010
  12. dorayme

    Ian Gregory Guest

    That is not what they asked for - they asked for the Downloads window.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Jun 28, 2010
  13. That is not what they asked for - they asked for the Downloads window.[/QUOTE]

    And the downloads window is the window to the downloads folder. So get the
    folder to one or both of those places, and one click opens the window.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 28, 2010
  14. But that is what the OP asked for! (as can be seen in the text you
    quoted above).[/QUOTE]

    the OP didn't say a word about Safari.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 28, 2010
  15. dorayme

    Ian Gregory Guest

    And the downloads window is the window to the downloads folder.[/QUOTE]

    That is not what I would call it. When I hear "downloads window" I think
    of the window which displays downloads in progress and allows you to
    pause or resume them etc.

    Perhaps the OP will come back and clarify - did they want a keyboard
    shortcut to open the Downloads folder in a Finder window, or one to open
    the Downloads window associated with Safari.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Jun 28, 2010
  16. That is not what I would call it. When I hear "downloads window" I think
    of the window which displays downloads in progress and allows you to
    pause or resume them etc.[/QUOTE]

    Considering that that window automatically opens whenever you download
    something, and that there's a menu item right in Safari to open it at any
    other time, whereas there are no menus or shortcuts to open the Downloads
    folder's window, it appears to me that that's what the OP wants.
    One would hope so.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 28, 2010
  17. of which application?

    Andreas Rutishauser, Jun 28, 2010
  18. not in Tiger, Michelle...
    Downloads go to the Desktop in Tiger... Downloads folder was introduced
    in Leopard

    Andreas Rutishauser, Jun 28, 2010
  19. dorayme

    J Burns Guest

    Considering that that window automatically opens whenever you download
    something, and that there's a menu item right in Safari to open it at any
    other time, whereas there are no menus or shortcuts to open the Downloads
    folder's window, it appears to me that that's what the OP wants.
    [/QUOTE]
    In Tiger? The only Downloads folder I have is the one I created, and I
    could have chosen any name.

    Safari's Downloads window is the default way to find a downloaded item.
    You click the magnifying glass.

    J Burns, Jun 28, 2010
  20. not in Tiger, Michelle...
    Downloads go to the Desktop in Tiger... Downloads folder was introduced
    in Leopard[/QUOTE]

    I had forgotten that, but even in Tiger, you can choose where downloads go
    to, so if you create a folder in the Finder and name it "Downloads", you
    can then select it as your downloads folder in Safari.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 28, 2010