Keyboard without number pad

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by micky, Feb 14, 2013.

  1. micky

    micky Guest

    Does anyone know of a keyboard that is narrower because it doesn't
    have the 17=iey number pad on the right, but which DOES have the
    typical 13-key center section**

    **(with the four arrows, insert, delete, home, end, page up and down,
    PrntScrn,Scroll lock, and pause. I use all of those keys except pause
    and I don't want to have to hunt for them. .)

    The mini keyboards I've found for sale make other keys in the QWERTY
    section do double duty, and I can deal with that occasionally, but for
    day-to-day use, it confuses me. Yet the true full size keyboard is
    much wider than my "new" laptop, and won't go in the laptop shoulder
    bag, and I only use the "number pad" once every six months or so.

    For trips, i've been having to pack the keyboard with my clothes, but
    for 8 hoursout of the house, I don't pack clothes or use a suitcase.

    If no one sells such a keyboard, what do you think about cutting off
    the right-most 3.5 inches of a standard keyboard. Maybe closing the
    open case with a nice little piece of mahogany,ebony, or birch wood.
    I would use my 50 years of electronics semi-knowledge to first cut the
    cricuit board off in a way intended not to disable the remaining keys.
    I'd use a $4 keyboard so if it didn't work the first time, I could try
    again. Does it sound difficult to get right?

    Thanks.

    micky, Feb 14, 2013

  2. Will this 14" one fit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/280850631561

    Anthony R. Gold, Feb 14, 2013

  3. micky

    Paul Guest

    micky wrote:

    It's hard to make a clean cut (partitioning) of a keyboard, due to the
    random way the scan matrix is set up. The keys that share a "wire"
    within a keyboard, can stretch from the keypad to the querty section.
    Cutting a conductor on the keypad area, could cause other apparently
    random keys to stop functioning. So sawing or Dremel is not
    recommended.

    Only if the keyboard was made with switches (not membrane), and the
    keypad section had "perforations" in the PCB, would it imply the
    keypad section is expendable. Sometimes, they make two products
    from the same PCB, by breaking off the part they don't want.
    The engineer, sets up the scan matrix, so it "saws off easily".
    And I really don't expect this to happen. I've looked at a few
    scan matrices, and they really look random to me, with keys
    having no apparent relationship, sharing wires.

    You can build a keyboard. I've done it, years ago. I wouldn't
    say it was exactly "fun" as such. It was one of the largest
    PCBs I ever made on the kitchen table. I got my parts for it,
    from these people. They also sell pre-made keyboards (fortunately).

    http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c271/P261.pdf

    The first item on that page, is rather old. And it leads
    me to this page. This suggests to me, you'd look to a
    country where "space is a problem", to find products that
    are smaller than average, and have things like the keypad removed.
    Apparently, this is similar to a laptop keyboard, with the
    little mouse button nestled within the keyboards.

    http://www.plathome.co.jp/products/mini_key/3r/index.html

    http://www.plathome.co.jp/products/mini_key/3r/image/minikey09.jpg

    That keyboard is also relatively "tall". They don't have a decent
    picture, so you'll have to zoom in.

    http://www.plathome.co.jp/products/mini_key/3r/image/3r_top.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 14, 2013
  4. micky

    Anssi Saari Guest

    Microsoft's Arc keyboard is a little like that. Cursor keys are in a
    4-directional pad and the other keys are on the top row. Doesn't seem to
    have scroll lock and maybe not great for putting in a bag due to the
    shape.

    Lenovo also makes Thinkpad keyboards that have a laptop like layout.
    Arrow keys in the bottom right, the other keys on the top right. Then
    again, you have a laptop so maybe this isn't what you're looking for? I
    have to admit I'm not sure I understand what it is you are looking for
    in an external keyboard. Seems easiest to me to just not bring one with
    a laptop...

    Anssi Saari, Feb 15, 2013
  5. micky

    micky Guest

    Wow, just like most of my keyboards but without the number section on
    the right. That's exactly what I want. Thanks.

    (Except that it's $75! I guess that's because it's a gaming keyboard.
    (Faster key action?) As time goes on, I'll know if it is worth that
    much money to me.

    Stiill, this probably means the end of my plan for me and you and the
    other three of you who replied to get rich by making the first one of
    these. Sorry.

    Though I'm still looking for investors in my macrofiche project.

    micky, Feb 16, 2013
  6. micky

    micky Guest

    I see what you mean.
    Maybe just for the case. I like the idea of having the only mahogany
    keyboard. (If someone already has one, I'll switch to walnut or
    ebony.)
    Not encouraging. Maybe I can find one like Grinder mentioned, with a
    bendable circuit "board".
    If I were 30 years younger (36), I'd put this on my list of things to
    do. I wouldn't actually do it, but at least it would be on the list.
    (along with writing a book, promoting macrofiche, and hitchhiking from
    Morocco to Timbuktu, and from there to Togo.)
    Do you mean like Andora, Monaco, and LIcthenstein? If I could
    convnce the IRS it was a business trip to find the right keyboard for
    work, it might be deductible.
    I had an IBM Thinkpad with a mouse button like this. But I just
    connected a USB mouse to that too.
    Thanks a lot, and thanks to everyone.

    micky, Feb 16, 2013
  7. micky

    micky Guest

    This might not be so bad. It might be good, in fact.
    But this would r equire learning something new. ;-(
    I think I never use scroll lock, except when I press it accidentally
    and have to press it again. So that would be okay.
    It depends on how much I plan to do, and how hard it is to carry. If
    I have my car, it's no trouble to throw the keyboard in too. If I'm
    on foot, and need mostly to click and not to type, I'd leave it at
    home. If I go away for a week, I'll definitely take the keyboard,
    even if I have to take a full-size one. I have a USB mouse too, and
    use it even more often.

    (Two summers ago, my brother rented a vacation house for a week in
    eastern Tennessee. Too much climbing mountains I guess and I blew my
    head gasket on the way home. Had to spend 4-6 days in Asheville NC
    shopping for a car. If I hadn't had a netbook, a separate keyboard,
    and a cell phone, (and a rental car) , I would have had to buy them
    to find a car like I wanted.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    micky, Feb 16, 2013
  8. I'd recommend sticking with mahogany. I built a walnut case for a
    SWTPC keyboard to be used with a SWTPC 6800 kit I put together back in
    the day and besides being very difficult to work with, it made for a
    very heavy keyboard. It was very beautiful, tho.

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Feb 16, 2013
  9. micky

    micky Guest

    Didn't Albert Shweitzer have a mahogany keyboard on his computer?

    micky, Feb 17, 2013
  10. I saw this on HackaDay yesterday:
    http://hackaday.com/2013/03/23/hacking-the-right-side-of-a-
    keyboard-completely-off/