Keyboards on Mac under Debian Sarge 3.1

Discussion in 'Apple' started by B'ichela, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. B'ichela

    B'ichela Guest

    I am posting to both of these groups as this question is
    related to both. I have an Imac G3/400 slot loader. My old Mac Pro
    keyboard has lost its left control key for some unknown reason,
    reading of how to repair it looks to be more risky than replacing it
    with a new one, too many parts to lose, keyboard may be even deader! I am
    bidding on a generic Compaq black and silver keyboard on Ebay to
    replace it, its cheap and looks nice. Now here is the questions.
    1, has anyone used a generic PC 104 key keyboard on a Mac of my
    vintage? I think I had tried another Compaq one with good work other
    than the multimedia keys didn't do anything (it was a multimedia
    keyboard.)
    2. using the OPT/Windows key can I get into the open firmware boot
    screen? My Apple design Keyboard ADB (the nice one) with a Griffin
    Imate can't. Not sure if it because of the adaptor isn't seen as a usb
    keyboard until Mac Os 9.2.2 or Debian 3.1 boots or not. Mac Pro keyboard
    USB does with out a problem. Any known problems with PC keyboards
    getting to Open Firmware?
    3. What keys are remapped to what keys? I heard the Alt/Windows key is
    swapped for the Command/option keys. other than that will I have any
    other keys to relable on the keyboard?
    4. There are several PS/2 to USB adaptors at NewEgg that have been
    reported to work with PS/2 keyboards under the Mac, I have two PS/2
    keyboards a 104 key Chicony and a IBM multimedia monster! how do well
    do these adaptors work with Mac Os 9.2.2? Open Firmware? the reviewers
    never mentioned if they tried them with Open Firmware or not.
    Now for the Linux questions.
    1. How can I find the scan codes of the unused multimedia keys, this
    keyboard has about 5 of them. How can I use them in console mode?
    Under XFree86 4.30? with Gnome? Kde?
    2. If I bought the Microsoft Digital Media keyboard. (bidding on that
    as well) there are scads of keys that I would like to use. How can I use
    them? Under Mac Os 9.2.2 and Debian?

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

    B'ichela, Apr 4, 2007

  2. B'ichela

    Anton Ertl Guest

    Run xev.

    - anton

    Anton Ertl, Apr 4, 2007

  3. B'ichela

    B'ichela Guest

    Thanks. Never heard of that command before but then again... I
    am starting to learn of the X11 side of Linux.
    Now once I have the scan codes. how can I make use of them both under
    bash and X11/Gnome/Kde?

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:

    B'ichela, Apr 5, 2007