    the 3.3V rail on the existing PSU is at 3.46V so I don't know if that could
    have killed the cpu?

    TIA

    Steve, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Maybe I should have pointed out that this isn't a new build. The system has
    been in use for around 18 months, and started hard-resetting itself at random
    yesterday. Now it won't get past the beeping.

    Steve, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Steve

    0_Qed Guest

    Next choice is ...
    run the mem diag ... TomG's FTP URL ... cant recall it's name ,,,
    or ...
    try re_seating the modules *if* you've been "inside" the case lately .

    Best of luck,
    Qed

    PS- Also shite "happens" during a 'case' move of some distance ...

    0_Qed, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Steve

    John Guest

    I have the KG7.
    Last month it started giving me blue screen crashes and other starnge driver
    conflict errors. I updated every driver checked every connection and found
    nothing. It would fail late in the day most of the time. Finally I had two
    choices, CPU and Memory. In the early stages the mem check programs did not
    find any problems.

    So I started pulling simms one at a time. when I got to the last one
    (closest the front) it went into full arrest and the single long beeb. I
    pulled the last chip and replaced it with another and everything was fine. I
    replaced one sims at a time until three of the 4 were full. When I placed
    the (faulty) one back in I got the beeb again.

    I was ready to throw the simms out until I remember that 1 year or more ago
    when I built this PC I had to insert the memory chips with the motherboard
    on the table and a book supporting the motherboard under the simms slots. So
    I am going to hold on to the simms until I pull the thing apart for
    maintenance and try it again.

    I think that as tough as these were to seat in the beginning that one simms
    probably worked its way loose from all the bumping etc over the year. It may
    not be bad just harder then the others to seat right.

    Good luck.

    John

    John, Jul 15, 2003
  5. Steve

    Steve Evans Guest

    Single long beep, repeating over and over? That's what I get. Just
    ordered a new stick o' ram and a cpu, let's see how things go...

    Cheers all

    Steve Evans, Jul 15, 2003
  6. Steve

    0_Qed Guest

    Hate to be redundant ...

    Mite I suggest you try a lubricant next time you re_fit your mem modules

    Try CAIG(viaGoogle) ... Red(TomG) or Gold(moi) ...

    Worked well enuf to allow me to remove & refit the modules
    with the mobo =in= the case ... no smoke ...

    I own no stock, never worked for them ...
    they supply into the avionics/electronics indy in CA and eastwrd ...
    been around since back in the 60s, or longer .

    BTW ... can 'we' assume you have registered DDR modules ???

    Qed ...

    0_Qed, Jul 15, 2003
  7. Steve

    0_Qed Guest

    Steve Evans wrote:
    ....snip...
    I do believe CAIG ships to the UK ... time enuf to get a tube ..

    Mite make your 'life' a bit simpler ... easy in/out for your mem
    modules.
    No 'smoke' ...

    Best of luck,
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Steve

    TomG Guest

    try firmly but carefully reseating the memory while making sure that the
    mobo is well supported under the ram slots so it doesn't flex.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 113,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jul 16, 2003
  9. Steve

    John Guest

    Thanks fo rth einformation. I will try it.
    Yes I do <g>

    John

    John, Jul 19, 2003