KG7 (non RAID) and Sapphire 256Mb Radeon 9600XT Boot probs

Discussion in 'Abit' started by careco, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. careco

    careco Guest

    Has any one come across this prob. The machine generally will not boot up
    and gives 1 long and 2 short beeps (means???) This only happens when the
    power cord is left in the machine (i.e. power to the machine but NOT
    switched on) If the power cable is left disconnected for about 10mins or so
    the machine boots and is ok.

    This is a new Graphics card and was sent back and tested and returned to me
    as ok (Ebuyer - charged me for return delivery - thanks) I also had mega
    problems when I put it into my machine a KG7 - Raid, I use a Radeon 9600 pro
    (connect3d) with no problems at all with this card and works on the other
    board as well.

    Now assuming the card IS ok it would appear to be a bios issue, both
    machines were flashed to v. DS some while ago, no other bios upgrades seem
    to be forthcoming, the m/b is getting a bit long in the tooth now I suppose
    but both machines perform well especially when the Graphic card works and I
    don't want to replace the mainboard.

    Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem and a possible solution
    (apart from leaving the power conn out after use!)

    All meaningful and wise comments greatly appreciated,

    Brian Smith

    careco, Jan 12, 2004

  2. careco

    Skid Guest

    Beep codes: 1 long - 2 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error

    Make sure the card is seated properly, with no copper connectors showing.
    Sometimes if the bracket is bent slightly or the motherboard isn't perfectly
    aligned, tightening the screw can tip the card slightly in the socket and
    make for an intermittent connection.

    These symptoms can also be caused by an overstressed power supply. If the
    bios allows you to increase voltage to the AGP slot, you might try that.

    Skid, Jan 12, 2004

  3. careco> Has any one come across this prob. The machine generally will
    careco> not boot up and gives 1 long and 2 short beeps (means???)

    This happens to me as well on a KG7 too, with a GF3 Ti200. In general it
    seems it happens more often if the PC is ``cold''.

    careco> This only happens when the power cord is left in the machine
    careco> (i.e. power to the machine but NOT switched on) If the power
    careco> cable is left disconnected for about 10mins or so the machine
    careco> boots and is ok.

    skid2> Beep codes: 1 long - 2 short(Beep) Display card or monitor
    skid2> connected error

    skid2> Make sure the card is seated properly, with no copper connectors
    skid2> showing. [ ... ] These symptoms can also be caused by an
    skid2> overstressed power supply. [ ... ]

    In my case I reckon that the beep codes are signaling the ``monitor
    connected error'', and the problem is that the card cannot easily
    ``sync'' with the monitor, because the other thing that happens other
    than the beeps is that the monitor stays in standby mode.

    This happens to me with an LCD monitor on the DVI input; it does not
    happen on the analog input. My guess is that the monitor powers on in
    analog mode, and/or card tries pretty hard to open the analog input, and
    then either gives up or tries the DVI input, and by that time the
    monitor is not that ready to respond.

    Usually I can get the card and monitor to sync quickly by soft-resetting
    the PC (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and a little after that pressing the ``input
    select'' button on the monitor, so it probes its DVI input.

    I guess this is one of the problems caused by too much cleverness: both
    the card and the monitor have dual connectors, and handshaking can get
    difficult if they are out of sync when autoprobing.

    Piercarlo Grandi, Jan 21, 2004