    CL2.5 or otherwise. I've been told that the KG7 RAID is non ECC compliant.

    TIA,

    Dave.

    Dave Watson, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Dave Watson

    TomG Guest

    ECC is a waste of time and results in lower performance unless you are
    running mission critical server applications.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 117,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Dave Watson

    0_Qed Guest

    Dave Watson wrote:

    If you 'go' much further than '512' ...
    .. do your homework 're' your Win Virt Mem Manager ,
    &
    .. the mem reqmnts of your AGP/PCI vid card( use of sys mem VS on-card
    mem ).

    Yes ...
    either ECC, =or= non_ECC ,
    one/the_other, and not a "mix"(both)
    :)

    Dont confuse "ECC" with "Reg" ... two differing objectives .

    It is 'some' unclear whether you NOW have 1, or 2, mem stcks = 256_ttl,
    and
    now wish to add yet a 2nd ... or 3rd stick.

    I'd =guess= a '256' stick =equivalant= to the ?one? you now have ...
    given that ...
    .. your present 'stick' is 256 & non_ECC ( plain vanila )
    .. there will be just 2 sticks ttl installed in your KG&-R ,
    .. &, you dont want/need ECC

    "Yes" ...
    if you're infering that the mobo "can" use non_ECC mem sticks ...
    as well as "ECC" sticks ...

    "ECC" can provide error check/correction ...
    "Reg" can allow population of mem_slots up to the 'max' of such mobo
    mem_slots .

    "Normally", mem mfgrs will fab =both= ECC + Reg, in =a= mem_module ...
    .. reduces invntry 'SKUs", and less ttl mfg cost to fab both at once ,
    .. the 'final consumer/user' then buys both .

    Typically, 'servers' need a) lottsa mem, and b) err correction
    and, since "server" owners are the majority buyers of ECC/Reg ...
    .... hobby users, needing either of "same", are in the minority ...
    the mfgr POV says just produce =an= SKU ... ECC+Reg ...

    'Typically', due to mobo design considerations( mem buss ),
    mem modules installed =beyond= '2', will heavily "load" the mem_buss
    signal(s)
    and thus
    the mobo mem_buss requires that module installed count '=3', & beyond',
    =requires= that 'such' installed modules =all= be of "Reg" type ...
    '=all='.

    The (a) "Reg" mem_module additional chips, and (b) circuitry(Reg),
    lessen the "load" that a sngl 'Reg' module puts on the mem_buss.

    In 'summary' ... :)
    .. you 'want' err correction ??? ... buy "ECC"
    .. you 'want' =full= popln of mem ??? ... buy "Reg"
    .. "sorry" , only the combo of "ECC+Reg" typically available .

    Typically,
    "ECC" doesnt preclude "Reg" useage , nor visversa.
    They will work together.

    Typically,
    its not advisable to mix ECC & non_ECC ... Reg & non_Reg ... "both" .

    Typically,
    you'll only find for retail_sale ...
    a) plain_vanila mem_modules,
    and
    b) ECC+Reg mem_modules

    End of 'rant',
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Dave Watson

    Dave Watson Guest

    I certainly will do my homework but in all honesty 512 will suffice, for the
    moment :)

    OK, understood..

    Dont confuse "ECC" with "Reg" ... two differing objectives .

    OK

    I have one stick of 256MB PC2100 DDR - I just don't know if it's ECC or not.

    That's what I'm hearing too..

    Enlightening stuff..

    Not a rant, more of a friendly advice session.

    I think it's going to be the non-ECC CL2.5

    Thanks,

    Dave.

    Dave Watson, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Dave Watson

    0_Qed Guest

    Dave Watson wrote:
    ....snip...
    :)
    Mite pay to look_see ...
    Try TomG's FTP page for an app= "Belarc Advisor" ...
    it aughta ferret out the type mem stick without a case "opening" .

    Yahhh ... saw 'that' too ...
    :)
    Filtered, & directly "pumped", from the "supply" in my bilge.

    Gets to "be" that way ... unending illumination.

    :)

    I usta have several coveted IBM desk plaques ...
    they all said "THIMK" ...
    gave `em all away ... damnit.

    ?think? or =know= ???
    <VBG>

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Dave Watson

    Dave Watson Guest

    Intersting piece of software...It hasn't stopped the case opening session
    though.

    Dave.

    Dave Watson, Sep 28, 2003