kgpe-d16 motherboard not seeing 2nd CPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mikeyj001, Jan 5, 2023.

  1. mikeyj001

    mikeyj001

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2023
    Hi,

    Sorry for the long post.
    IMG_20221226_093634.jpg IMG_20221226_093622.jpg IMG_20221226_093607.jpg IMG_20221226_093542.jpg IMG_20221226_093455.jpg
    I have a KGPE-D16 motherboard which is not seeing the 2nd CPU using the latest bios 3309 dated 2016/07/18. Currently I'm using 2 x 6376 Opterons.

    I was experiencing random reboots over the last year, and didn't know if it was a ram or CPU issue. I have 3 pairs of 16GB RDIMMS, and I tested each pair on its own, but still had random reboots on my linux setup.

    Based on this info, I bought 4 pairs of used 16 GB RDIMMS as the original 3 pairs were bought from new some years ago, so thought they were failing. I also bought a replacement CPU.

    Although I seem to have gotten over the random reboots, using all 7 pairs of ram and the new cpu, I don't think the replaced cpu is defective.

    There is an oddity in the 3307 and 3309 bios in that it shows the E1, E2 and F1, F2 ram slots for CPU 2 as C1, C2 and D1, D2.
    To be clear, CPU 1 should have ram slots A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2 and D1, D2.
    CPU 2 should be E1, E2, F1, F2, G1, G2 and H1, H2, but CPU 2 shows C1, C2, D1, D2, G1, G2 and H1, H2.

    I also have a pair of 6128 Opertons as backup and I reverted back to the first released bios 0401 2010/04/16 which had the correctly labelled ram slots, and saw both CPUs. I then upgraded to bios 3307 and then 3309 and both CPUs were still visible, but the slot labelling was incorrect (see pictures)..

    While swapping out the CPUs for the 6376 upgrades, and doing a CMOS clear, I thought I would see both CPUs, but the bios complains about the CPU 2 configuration.

    Even with 1 pair of RDIMMS, CPU 2 configuration issues are flagged by the bios.

    So the questions are:
    - has anyone one had an issue with ram slot labelling for the latest 3307/3309 bios?
    - has anyone had problems with CPU 2 not being seen by the bios for 6300 series Opterons?

    I'm currently only using the ram on CPU 1, and disabled CPU 2 otherwise the random reboots occur again.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    mikeyj001, Jan 5, 2023