  1. They're using an Apple ][, but would have had essentially the same
    reaction if it had been a Commodore PET or TRS-80.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, May 26, 2014

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Michael Eyd Guest

    Am 26.05.2014 18:55, schrieb Michelle Steiner:
    Great! And the video brought back tons of memories of my first steps in
    IT, on an Apple //e... :)

    Michael Eyd, May 26, 2014

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Calum Guest

    Fun and depressing as always... though of course, the Apple II GS did
    also come with a mouse and a desktop GUI that would probably have looked
    a lot more familiar to those kids.
    Calum, May 26, 2014
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Ed Cryer Guest

    Those USA kids have very little historical perspective. In fact, they're
    rather like the adults. :)

    I wonder how they'd react to a passage from the histories of Suetonius,
    where he explains how Emperor Nero found some new water organs and
    pledged to have them installed in all the theatres.

    Ed Cryer, May 26, 2014
  5. Michelle Steiner

    Siri Crews Guest

    While Wozniak was working on Apple 2, I was working on
    Siri Crews, May 26, 2014
  6. I haven't seen NOS since my 2nd job in 1981. And yes, it was on a CDC
    machine. 60-bit machine. Last 2 registers to read/write to memory.
    Very strange.
    Michael Vilain, May 26, 2014
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Your Name Guest

    You could also get a GUI for the older Commodore 64.
    Your Name, May 26, 2014
  8. Do you think that kids in the UK would have reacted any differently?
    Michelle Steiner, May 26, 2014
  9. And even with the Apple //e, runing in HIRES mode.
    Michelle Steiner, May 26, 2014
  10. Michelle Steiner

    Siri Crews Guest

    There are emulators if you want to run it again.
    Siri Crews, May 26, 2014
  11. Michelle Steiner

    Ed Cryer Guest

    Yes. They would have sat back and given the equipment the admiring
    respect for a former technology. They would have seen it in context of
    its time rather than rush at it and start moaning that it wouldn't
    produce a nice ice-cream cornet when shouted at.

    Ed Cryer, May 26, 2014
  12. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    Yes. very differently. For one thing, their accent would have been
    totally different :) :)
    JF Mezei, May 26, 2014
  13. Michelle Steiner

    I've stayed clear of this thread even though I too had a
    Commodore and thought it was the time.

    However your post brings only one word to mind;
    , May 26, 2014
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Siri Crews Guest

    Why are you worrying about Apple 2s, Commodores, and other nonsense? There's a
    new game in town:
    Siri Crews, May 26, 2014
  15. Michelle Steiner

    nospam Guest

    the apple ii changed the world, not what you were doing.
    nospam, May 26, 2014
  16. Michelle Steiner

    dorayme Guest

    Quite right. Plus they would have put any coins in their savings and
    given them to people poorer than themselves and made their mums a nice
    cup of tea.
    dorayme, May 26, 2014
  17. Michelle Steiner

    Siri Crews Guest

    Like it or no, some of us contributed to the nuclear test ban treaty. The US
    government developed software originally on Cray and CDC computers that allows
    an accurate simulation of nuclear processes that US decided it could trust
    supercomputer software simulation of storage rather than detonate a warhead
    every few years.

    IBM S/360 is long dead, but that's why Motorola and Intel chips started with 8
    bit bytes instead of 6, 12, 7, 9, or some other number.
    Siri Crews, May 27, 2014
  18. Michelle Steiner

    Savageduck Guest

    My initiation into FORTRAN was on two NCR machines, a Century 100 and a
    Century 200. That got me moving beyond the abacus & slide rule, though
    there has never really been anything to replace those two. I still have
    two, at ;east 50 year old, yellowing slide rules in my aging artifact
    Savageduck, May 27, 2014
  19. I kept the Pickett Slide Rule my father proudly gave me for a high
    school graduation present. Once the HP45 came down in price, I never
    touched it again.
    Michael Vilain, May 27, 2014
  20. Frankly, I doubt that.
    Michelle Steiner, May 27, 2014