Kids react to old computers

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, May 26, 2014.

  1. I'll buy that.

    Michelle Steiner, May 27, 2014

  2. Michelle Steiner

    mortman Guest

    This is the way it was not that long ago.
    Hard to believe based upon what we can do today.
    I wonder how today's technology will be viewed 10-20 years from now
    (although some of us will never know).

    mortman, May 27, 2014

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Siri Crews Guest

    A, B, C, D, S, T, LL1, LL2, LL3. So much fun.

    DeeDee don't lose that newsgroup.
    It's the only one that hasn't plonked you.

    Siri Crews, May 27, 2014
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Recliner Guest

    I don't think the Apple II changed the world, but you could argue that the
    Apple Mac did.

    Recliner, May 27, 2014
  5. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    FYI, the architecture that started off as 360 is still alive and doing
    well at IBM. It has evolved over the years with multiple iterations. I
    believe IBM calls it System Z these days.

    Not sure if the older OS on it still exists (DOS/VSE and perhaps older
    ones). With VSAM, on DOS/VSE, a batch job had to specify track numbers
    on a disk instead of a dataset name ! (circa 1983, I know Readers Digest
    in USA and Canada still used it and they upgraded to VSAM to not only
    support indexed files but also files !!!!

    (VM/CMS did have filenames but only for the users within their own VM).

    JF Mezei, May 27, 2014
  6. Michelle Steiner

    Siri Crews Guest

    The Apple 2 was a piece of crap compared to the personal computers of the day,
    like Apollo and all those neat toys at Xerox Parc, but it was the first widely
    available home computer that openned a new market. Z80 and 8080 boxes were ad
    hoc affairs; Apple 2 was packaged and somewhat supported. It spurred IBM and
    then Microsoft and the Clone Wars, with Apple coming back with the Mac.

    Nostalgia can be a fun game, but I'll never go back to an O29 keypunch and 512
    printer.

    Siri Crews, May 27, 2014
  7. Michelle Steiner

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Somehow this discussion of the IBM S/360 takes me back to the first
    computer I programmed back in 1960, the ANFSQ7, a huge vacuum tube
    monster built by IBM and which occupied a very large room and which I
    jokingly say probably didn't have as much computing power as one today
    finds in a Hallmark greeting card! :)

    TaliesinSoft, May 27, 2014
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Savageduck Guest

    Press to arm, release to detonate.

    Savageduck, May 27, 2014
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Your Name Guest

    The Apple II was the start of the true desktop / "personal" computer
    for normal people, rather than the kitset computers for electronics
    hobbyists. It was only after the Apple II that IBM, Commodore, etc. all
    started jumping on the bandwagon and making desktop computers.

    Apple may not have been the first in all the various categories, but
    Apple has certainly been the company that kickstarted many of them,
    including personal computers, mouse-GUI interfaces, desktop laser
    printers, desktop publishing, MP3 players, tablets, smartphones,
    laptops, App Store, iTunes, manufacturer retail stores, etc.

    Your Name, May 27, 2014
  10. The Apple ][, TRS 80 wand Commodore PET were release within a 3-month
    period. The first personal computer I ever saw was a Commodore PET at
    a demonstration given by David Ahl 36 years ago this weekend.

    The second one I ever saw was a TRS-80 a few weeks later. I didn't see
    an Apple ][ until a month or two after that.

    Michelle Steiner, May 27, 2014
  11. Michelle Steiner

    Lewis Guest

    Uh huh, sure they would have.

    "Wo's dis den, this is shite!" would be more likely. Well, depending on
    the kid, and the school the kid went to.

    Lewis, May 27, 2014
  12. Michelle Steiner

    Tim Streater Guest

    But you could mount another user's disk and then see their files too.

    Tim Streater, May 27, 2014
  13. Michelle Steiner

    Ant Guest

    Also, check out the other videos like casette tape player, rotatory
    phone, etc. :)
    --
    "... Hey. Could we do that again? I know we haven't met, but I don't
    want to be an ant. You know? I mean, it's like we go through life with
    our antennae bouncing off one another, continously on ant autopilot,
    with nothing really human required of us. 'Stop.' 'Go.' 'Walk here.'
    'Drive there.' All action basically for survival. All communication
    simply to keep this ant colony buzzing along in an efficient, polite
    manner. 'Here's your change.' 'Paper or plastic?' 'Credit or debit?"'
    'You want ketchup with that' I don't want a straw. I want real human
    moments. I want to see you. I want you to see me. I don't want to give
    that up. I don't want to be ant, you know?" "Yeah... yeah I know. I
    don't want to be an ant either. Thanks for kinda, like, josteling me
    there... I've been kinda on zombie autopilot lately. I don't feel like
    an ant in my head, but I guess I probably look like one..." --Waking
    Life movie
    | |o o| |

    Ant, May 27, 2014
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Ant Guest

    They had a GUI word processor too instead of plain text ones like in
    AppleWorks. I forgot its name though.
    --
    "What is it all but a trouble of ants... In the gleam of a million...
    million of suns? --Alfred Lord Tennyson

    Ant, May 27, 2014
  15. Michelle Steiner

    Ant Guest

    For a dollar? [grin] ;)
    --
    "The ants sought personal revenge for my having sprayed them the day
    before." --Oliver Smith

    Ant, May 27, 2014