Kingston ValueRAM and Dell Precision 360s

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ben Myers, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm upgrading a couple of Dell Precision 360s to a gig of memory for delivery to
    their new owners. The memory installed originally in one of the 360s is made by
    Micron with Micron chips. I have some 256MB sticks of ValueRAM, so I pulled the
    Micron sticks and compared them with the Kingston ones. The result: absolutely
    identical circuit layout between the two. Same circuit traces. Same teeny tiny
    components, resistors, PALs or whatever. Difference? The chips are marked
    Micron and Kingston respectively. AFIAK, Kingston does not manufacture memory
    chips, so they probably put the arm on Micron to label the chips Kingston. The
    ValueRAM DIMMs are undoubtedly the Micron design, either manufactured by Micron,
    or licensed by Kingston's DIMM memory manufacturuer, or possibly a ripped off
    and copied design.

    The ValueRAM DIMMs test out perfectly in the 360s, using the latest MEMTEST-86,
    Version 3.2. The 360s have the Intel 875 chipset, and Intel chipsets are known
    to be fussy about memory quality. Now I'm not so sure that ValueRAM is that
    cheaply made.

    For those of you doing memory testing, use Version 3.2 of MEMTEST-86. The older
    versions cause a Precision 360 to reboot after a couple of seconds, apparently
    because they do not handle the 875 chipset well. V3.2 identifies the 875
    chipset and displays useful info about memory timing, and, of course, runs
    without reboots... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Ben Myers

    Tom Scales Guest

    Ben,

    I can't comment specifically on the Precision, but I use Kingston ValueRam
    in all my machines. In fact, tomorrow, FedEx will deliver a 512MB stick for
    my 4550.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 1, 2005

  3. Ben Myers

    S.Lewis Guest

    Tom,

    Who's your preferred vendor these days? Newegg or ZipZoomFly, etc?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Ben Myers

    Tom Scales Guest

    Usually ZipZoomFly, as they have free 2nd day shipping. That's where this
    memory order is from. I also use buy.com now that they often have free
    shipping.

    I've gotten a little carried away with my purchases recently. Yesterday I
    got my new Nikon D2X. 12.4 Megapixels.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 1, 2005
  5. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, I thought I'd say something in rebuttal to the disparaging comments made
    recently about ValueRAM. There sure are worse brands floating around.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 1, 2005