    before and seem to work equally as well as Micron.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Sep 27, 2004

  2. JJO

    S.Lewis Guest

    I saw Kingston (purple label) in a new Dell recently (PC2700 or 3200). I do
    not recall having seen Kingston among the brands they've used in the past,
    but I might be wrong.

    Infineon DIMMs have been used in Dell systems for quite a while, or at least
    I've seen very many of them.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 28, 2004

  3. JJO

    JJO Guest

    Thanks for that information Stew. I believe that I have seen Infineon as
    well but did not know they were using Kingston as of late.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Sep 28, 2004
  4. JJO

    Ben Myers Guest

    As I have stated several times over the objections of others, Dell uses
    commodity memory like everyone else. Infineon. Kingston. Micron. What's the
    difference? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 28, 2004
  5. JJO

    JJO Guest

    They will go with whichever brand gives them the best price and can supply
    in the quantities that Dell requires. Though with the recent European ruling
    and settlement with Infineon and others, Dell may be less than thrilled with
    their "partners" for RAM.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Sep 28, 2004
  6. JJO

    Sparky Guest

    Infineon is the German manufacturer who was just fined $160 million for
    trying to fix DRAM prices (not really a Dell issue, of course).

    Sparky, Sep 29, 2004
  7. JJO

    JJO Guest

    They and others of the "memory" cartel are in the same boat. Samsung and
    some others are going to be following with similar fines. I have to believe
    that folks like Dell and HP are somewhat less enchanted with their memory
    suppliers such as Infineon and Samsung.

    Good memory but bad business decision.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Sep 29, 2004
  8. JJO

    JJO Guest

    JJO, Sep 29, 2004
  9. JJO

    S.Lewis Guest

    I can't help it - the label "memory cartel" just cracks me up...

    Has anyone turned the lights off at Rambus yet, or are they still present in
    any new hardware platforms?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 29, 2004
  10. JJO

    Sparky Guest

    OMG, Rambus! Haven't thought about them in ages. Did any major PC maker
    other than Dell ever use their memory?

    Sparky, Sep 29, 2004
  11. JJO

    Ben Myers Guest

    Nothing new on the RAMBUS front lately. Dell, Gateway, and IBM used RAMBUS in
    desktop/tower systems. RAMBUS showed up in servers, too. And the RAMBUS
    company keeps flogging away on its lawsuits against major memory manufacturers,
    claiming royalties for its patents derived from RAMBUS technology. Intel has
    abandoned RAMBUS, and Intel was its best friend with the 820 and 850 chipsets.

    DDR has proven less expensive to manufacture than RAMBUS, which did not deliver
    acceptable cost/performance ratios for the mass market... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 29, 2004
  12. JJO

    Sparky Guest

    Too bad the Rambus people couldn't have a little more flexibility with
    their pricing.

    Sparky, Sep 29, 2004
  13. JJO

    Ben Myers Guest

    It's more than pricing flexibility. Apparently the process to produce RAMBUS
    memory is more expensive. Add the royalty payments for RAMBUS. Add the
    absolutely nasty lawsuits. You have a recipe for failure, with 99.99% of the
    computer industry pissed off at them. Not much RAMBUS memory is produced any
    more, so the street price will remain high for some time into the future.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 30, 2004