Kingston ValueRam PC2700 DDR any good for mild overclock?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by GRL, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. GRL

    GRL Guest

    You can get Kingston PC2700 DDR (512 M) ValueRam for about $50 after rebate
    nowadays. I have a three year old stick of this memory that I run at 353 MHz
    (vs. 333 Mhz rating) with no trouble. I'm tempted to add another stick to
    get allow easier video editing, but when I tried a 512 M stick of new
    Kingston PC2700 DDR ValueRam bought from Kingston, I could not get it to
    overclock at all.

    Has anyone been able to get this brand/model/size of DDR to overclock? I
    mean recent production. I know the old stuff overclocks well.

    --

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
    Visual Basic programmer)

    GRL, Feb 18, 2004

  2. GRL

    BigBadger Guest

    Just buy the PC3200...You then have guaranteed overclocking ability and the
    price now is the same as PC2700...there is really no reason to buy anything
    else but PC3200

    BigBadger, Feb 18, 2004

  3. GRL

    Rednaxela Guest

    If the motheboard only supports up to 2700, will the 3200 work?

    Rednaxela, Feb 18, 2004
  4. GRL

    BigBadger Guest

    Yes...at PC3700 speed plus whatever overclock you can achieve.

    BigBadger, Feb 18, 2004
  5. GRL

    GRL Guest

    Reasonable advice, but it does not answer the question, now does it?

    - GRL

    GRL, Feb 19, 2004
  6. GRL

    BigBadger Guest

    It does not answer the direct question of 'has anybody got recent Kinston
    Value PC2700 ram to overclock'....I cant help you with that, I don't have
    any. The question is kinda pointless anyway; just because Joe Blow got his
    to overclock to whatever speed does not mean squat about the module your
    gonna buy or have bought.
    You want ram that will clock higher than PC2700?...there is only one way to
    guarantee it, that's buy PC3200.

    BigBadger, Feb 19, 2004
  7. GRL

    Hank Guest

    Joe Blow here, I have 3 sticks of that memory. One stick I can only get
    about 350MHz. The second I can get just a hair over 400Mhz and the last one
    I've had as fast as 460MHz. So take it from old Joe here, it really doesn't
    mean squat, it's simply a matter of how the dice roll. If you want fast
    reliable memory, buy fast reliable memory and the way prices are now why
    wouldn't you?.

    Hank

    Hank, Feb 19, 2004
  8. GRL

    GRL Guest

    Thanks, Joe, that's the kind of reply that was asked for.

    - GRL

    GRL, Feb 20, 2004
  9. GRL

    GRL Guest

    OK, I answered my own question. I had two sticks of PC2700 512 MB Kingston
    ValueRam that I got directly from Kingston last month. Neither stick would
    overclock at all and they even had trouble running reliably at their rated
    333 MHz. Both were dual-sided sticks. Sent both back to Kingston for (to
    their credit) a full refund.

    Last week Staples had the same memory on sale for $50 after rebate. Actually
    $40 with my $10 off coupon. Decided to give it one more shot. Bought a
    stick, put it in my box alongside the old 512 MB PC2700 stick that I've been
    running at 354 MHz for years...and the new stick boots and runs reliably at
    354 MHz, too. The new stick is single-sided, interestingly enough. The old
    stick is dual sided like the ones sent back to Kingston. The two returned
    sticks had memory chips of different manufacturers from each other and the
    old stick, by the way.

    Moral of the story, you have to pick and take your chances. And the same
    part number does not guarantee you the same part...or performance.

    GRL, Feb 25, 2004