KM2M Combo Freezes (Help Please)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by wyoung, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. wyoung

    wyoung Guest

    Sorry about the MSI intrusion but the msi-microstar group is not
    responding. There is only 5 or 10 posts a week. That is not good. Any
    help that you can give will be greatly appreciated.

    KM2M Combo - Athlon 1000 - Maxtor D740X-6L 20G - 256 PC133 - Teac 532E
    - PS=PC100 145W - Zoom PCI Voice Fax Modem - Integrated S3 ProSavage
    DDR video - MS Track Ball Optical USB Mouse - Samtron 77V Monitor -
    Bios updated to Ver 3.54.000 - 98SE-2/04 updates.

    When I add a Canon MP730 - USB to the system it freezes up on start.
    Tried - changing cmos - usb hub . Turn off MP730, computer starts
    normal, then start MP730 and everything works normal. Also the MP730
    runs normal on Abit system. Also have another KM2M Combo in a much
    newer case/300W PS - PC2700 - 2400+ - The MP730 has the same problem
    with freeze on start. No help from MSI support.

    Someone was saying that the MP730 has its own memory card and the
    computer is seeing the MP as a usb external drive and trying to boot
    to it. I tried alot of different configurations and none worked.

    Warren

    wyoung, Jun 26, 2004

  2. wyoung

    Paul Guest

    Use a separate PCI USB card ?

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 26, 2004

  3. wyoung

    Tim Guest

    Hi,

    Many / most USB devices require the drivers loaded first.
    Did you do follow instructions?
    If you did not, do you have a remnant device in Device Manager that needs to
    be deleted before it will be recognised correctly (may have a yellow circle
    and a device 21 or some other error code)? IE delete any with error codes,
    shutdown, resart, and then follow installation instructions.

    Before you load the drivers, check that you do have the latest version from
    the cannon site and also for notes on installation. It is common
    particularly for multi function devices to have driver issues.

    I am not sure what Legacy USB Device support in the bios does, but if the
    above does not work, try turning that on or off.

    HTH
    - Tim

    Tim, Jun 26, 2004
  4. wyoung

    Paul Guest

    I think his problem is at the BIOS level. He uses the term "freezes
    up on start". I'm guessing that maybe the BIOS isn't smart enough to
    access a USB device for booting purposes if it is on a separate
    PCI card.

    Another option is a USB switching device. Like this JU-SW4112
    Model US2314:

    http://www.siig.com/product.asp?query=JU-SW4112&x=9&y=6&pid=330&catid=18&subcatid=86

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 26, 2004
  5. wyoung

    wyoung Guest

    Thinking of replacing this board with a Asus A7N8X-VM/400. Anyone
    have any experience with this board, and the MP730. I wonder if the
    freeze at start will be a problem with all of the new boards. Canons
    fix to the problem is to unplug the MP at start up. They were not to
    interested in calling MSI and finding a way to fix the problem. MSI
    and Dramen-(Raleigh,NC) just put there heads in the sand and are
    hoping I will buy another board. I have not tried the PCI card, it
    more than likely will work, but with only 3-PCIs it is going to be a
    problem.

    I wonder why, if the Boot Other Device is set to disable, why it
    still looks at this usb as a bootable drive. I even tried disabling
    all boot drives except the HDD-0. Did not help.

    It looks like the best workaround is to unplug the MP at start. Like a
    step back in time. I'm not going to discard any of my oil lanterns
    just yet, maybe this is a look into the future.

    How about the A7N8X-VM/400. Need some feedback. Thanks for all the
    help.

    Warren

    wyoung, Jun 27, 2004
  6. wyoung

    Paul Guest

    Check Google for details of RAM speed versus built-in video
    stability. With no speed adjustment in the BIOS, you'd need to
    plug in a PC2700 DIMM, to use the built-in video. If you have a
    video card to use with this board, then I think you can use a
    PC3200 stick of ram. If you already own RAM which is PC2700 or
    slower, then this is probably not an issue.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 27, 2004