    N-Force 2

    i need to build a integrated VGA chipset PC.. so an KM400 suppport Sempron??

    Thanks...

    TORN, Sep 15, 2004

  2. TORN

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Hi..
    | just want to know what chipset can support Sempron (Socket A)?? so far i
    | know :
    |
    | KT600/ KT800
    | N-Force 2
    |
    | i need to build a integrated VGA chipset PC.. so an KM400 suppport
    Sempron??

    | Thanks...

    Hi TORN -

    Abit's NF7-M supports Sempron processors, provided you've flashed in advance
    to the latest BIOS release (NF7_27.bin). The NF7-M is Abit's only nForce2
    board with integrated graphics.

    I cannot comment on the other chipsets you mention.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Sep 15, 2004

  3. TORN

    Wes Newell Guest

    Any that supports a 166MHz 333FSB.
    Any of the above.
    Yes, but socket A Semprons are the most expensive cpu's you can buy, They
    are underclocked, overrated (number wise compared to XP's by 400), and
    overpriced. IOW's, let the ignorant buy them and don't be a fool since
    you've been told.:)

    Sempron 2800+, Tbred B core, 2000MHz, $106
    AthlonXP 2400+, Tbred B core, 2000MHz, $56

    Sempron 2200+, ?? core, 1500MHz, $70
    AthlonXP 1800+, ?? core, 1533MHz, $48

    Todays prices. You be the judge.:)

    The ONLY Sempron that is worth it's price is the 3100+ for socket754 and
    that debatable since it does support 64bit code and you can get an A^$
    2800+ (which is faster than the Sempron 3100+) for just a few $ more.

    Don't be fooled by the name change, difference model numbering, which is
    in comparison to Celerons btw, etc.

    Wes Newell, Sep 15, 2004
  4. TORN

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Sep 15, 2004
  5. TORN

    Lachoneus Guest

    Sempron 2800+, Tbred B core, 2000MHz, $106
    At those prices, I agree that the Athlon XP is a much better buy. Keep
    in mind, though, that the Sempron will probably be marginally faster
    compared to lower-end T-bred XPs due to its 333MHz FSB (compared to the
    XP's 266MHz FSB).

    Also, the spread isn't all that wide everywhere--the Sempron 2400+ and
    XP 2000+ are only $2 apart on newegg.com.

    Lachoneus, Sep 15, 2004
  6. TORN

    Wes Newell Guest

    The cheapest Sempron I found was a 2300+ for $59. For $62 you can get a
    2600+ Athlon XP Barton core that is faster than all the Semprons. under
    the Sempron rating system, it would be rated as a Sempron 3000+. So, would
    you buy a Sempron?:)

    Wes Newell, Sep 15, 2004
  7. TORN

    Lachoneus Guest

    Probably not, but I have to wonder where you're getting a Barton 2600+
    for $62. Given a month or two, the Semprons will trickle down to
    flybynightcomputers.com and things will equal out a bit. :)

    Lachoneus, Sep 15, 2004
  8. TORN

    Paul Guest

    On the Asus side of things, you can use the cpusupport web page,
    and select the CPU name option. The pulldown menu allows selecting
    a particular processor model, and the web page will return all the
    motherboards that can use it.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    I placed the notation about integrated graphics next to the
    ones, that based on naming convention, contain a graphics
    Northbridge.

    A7N8X
    A7N8X Deluxe
    A7N8X-E Deluxe
    A7N8X-VM   <--- integrated graphics
    A7N8X-VM/400   <--- integrated graphics
    A7N8X-X
    A7V333-X
    A7V400-MX    <--- integrated graphics
    A7V600
    A7V600 SE
    A7V600-X
    A7V880
    A7V8X
    A7V8X-MX   <--- integrated graphics
    A7V8X-MX SE   <--- integrated graphics
    A7V8X-X

    Generally speaking, the BIOS on any Asus microATX board sucks.
    There are hardly any adjustments, and in some cases, there are
    restrictions on RAM speed etc. For example, if you are using
    the integrated graphics on the A7N8X-VM/400, you should use
    PC2700 RAM in it, to prevent video artifacts from appearing.
    With DDR333 RAM, the best choice of processor in that case
    is a FSB333 processor.

    Check Google before buying any of these, for info on any other
    gotchas with microATX Asus boards.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 15, 2004
  9. TORN

    Wes Newell Guest

    Same place I get all my comparisons, pricewatch.com. that includes
    shipping too. From their CPU listing.

    $62 - Athlon XP 2600 333
    Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

    Wes Newell, Sep 15, 2004
  10. TORN

    BigBadger Guest

    The Semprons are just re-badged Athlon XP Thoroughbred core CPU's so any
    board that works with the 333FSB T'bred will work with a Sempron. Without
    the proper bios is may be recognised as 'Unknown CPU' but that would be all.
    PS.... I agree with Wes, right now, while you can still get them, Athlon
    XP's are far better value (compare clock speed not 'PR')

    BigBadger, Sep 16, 2004
  11. TORN

    GlassVial Guest

    Hey Wes, do you have any websites with benchmarks of xp vs sempron
    cpu's of the same "speed" ? Like an Athlon XP 2600 vs a Sempron 2600?
    All I've seen is the Sempron vs Celeron info, and Sempron appears to
    destroy the celery handily.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Sep 16, 2004
  12. TORN

    Wes Newell Guest

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2139&p=1

    Wes Newell, Sep 16, 2004
  13. TORN

    GlassVial Guest

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2139&p=1

    Yeah I saw that already, it doesn't really seem to compare
    like-for-like, for example they have a 2800 sempron listed but no
    athlon 2800 for a side-by-side.

    Just thought I'd add I just bought a sempron 2600 and board for under
    $100, so I think it's a decent deal. I couldn't have bought a real
    athlon xp and board for under $100.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Sep 16, 2004
  14. TORN

    Kokoro Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, GlassVial ordered an army of hamsters
    to type:

    Stop pestering poor Wes.

    Its easy to work out the performance of a cpu, forget the stupid names they
    are given for a minute.

    Lets take your two choices a 2600+ Sempron and AthlonXP (32 Socket A)

    The faster the Bus speed the faster the performance and the faster the
    total speed the faster the performance (total speed being multiplier
    multiplied by the bus speed)

    Sempron 2600+ has a bus speed of 166mhz, not 333mhz as a lot of people say.
    there is a reason for the 333 but its irrelevent for the time being.

    This Sempron speed is 1.83ghz, thats 1830mhz, 1830/166 = 11 which is the
    multiplier but its not important, the other two figures are.

    Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton) speed is 1.92GHz (1920mhz) but also runs at a bus
    speed of 166. Because of the higher total speed of the Athlon it is a
    faster cpu.

    An Athlon XP 2600+ Throughbred is 2.07ghz but the smaller cache size
    hinders performance.

    It is also worth noting that Semprons have a debilitating 256k L2 cache
    like the Throughbreds and the Bartons have 512k to play with.

    If wanted a true 2ghz cpu then another choice is a 2400+ AthlonXP32 but,
    its bus speed is 133mhz and because of this it wouldn't be as good
    performer as a Sempron 2800+

    the 2600+ Sempron however is meant to mean it has a similar performance to
    a 2.6Ghz Celeron and a 2600+ AthlonXP is meant to have similer performance
    to a 2.6Ghz Pentium4... in practice the performaces maybe different.

    All you need is a little information to work out a cpu's performance....
    not the stuff a pr department churns out.

    Kokoro, Sep 16, 2004
  15. TORN

    Kokoro Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, Kokoro ordered an army of hamsters
    to type:

    Does anyone else think there should be a website with information like this
    that can be found easily and at a glance?

    Kokoro, Sep 16, 2004
  16. TORN

    Wes Newell Guest

    Frye's had a MB with a 2500+ the other day for $89. last week they had the
    same board with a Sempron 2800+ for $99.:)
    And not long ago they had it with a 2400+ for $79.

    I hope you got a board that supports a 200MHz FSB so you can get that
    Sempron up to speed.

    Wes Newell, Sep 17, 2004
  17. TORN

    Wes Newell Guest

    When you get this installed run cpuid or some such program on it and see
    what kind of CPU it reports. If it reports Sempron, then get an older bios
    and see what it reports.:)
    or just watch what it reports on post.
    Let us all know. (my guess is a 2200+)

    Wes Newell, Sep 17, 2004
  18. TORN

    GlassVial Guest

    When you get this installed run cpuid or some such program on it and see
    No need, THG already has a screen shot of the cpuid, it shows as a
    TBred.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040728/sempron-02.html

    -GV

    GlassVial, Sep 17, 2004