KR7A-133 and GF4200TI 3D graphics problems

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Anders Skargren, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Hi!

    Recently my computer suddenly began to garble the display and then
    freeze up on some Direct3D games and some 3D benchmarks. For instance,
    the nature scene in 3Dmark2001[SE] makes the display go corrupt and
    freezes the computer after 10-20 secs in about 4 out of 5 tries.

    After a hard reset the graphics is still garbled and only a power cycle
    brings the graphics card back to a sane setting.

    This begun about 2 weeks ago and before that the computer ran
    perfectly since I assembled it in July 2002.

    My hardware consists of a KR7A-133, GF4200TI, 2*256MB DDR. The computer
    runs Windows 98 SE, DirectX8.1 and latest drivers from nVidia.

    I have tried lots of different stuff:

    * windows XP instead of Windows 98 SE
    * AGPx1 only
    * older/newer drivers from nVidia.
    * updated the BIOS to the latest from Abit.
    * settings in bios including changing AGP Mode, Aperture Size, upping
    Driving Control, and disabling the other settings.
    * tried another PSU
    * memory is ok according to memtest86 and I can build a linux kernel
    continously on it so it tend to believe it.
    * could run all tests in 3Dmark2001 for 2 hours in another computer without
    any problems at all.
    * probably more stuff I have forgotten at the moment.

    Still, not helping any...

    Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be? Some sites
    indicate that Abit used bad capacitors on some motherboards, can this
    be the problem?

    - Anders -

    Anders Skargren, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Anders,

    Hate to say it, but it sounds like your GeForce is developing a memory
    problem. My GeForce Ti 4400 started exhibiting these signs (patchy display,
    streaks etc.) on a random basis, before eventually becoming permanent over
    time. From what I've discovered one of the memory chips on the card is
    either overheating, or is already damaged due to heat. If your card's still
    under manufacturers warranty, check and see if you can get it replaced.

    Of course if you have access to another system, check and see if the card
    exhibits the same problem. If so, you know whats at fault.

    Graeme.

    Graeme Roberts, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Hi,

    Yes, you may be right. Now I've tried the card in two other computers.
    One a few days ago where it ran ok for 2 hours straight which lead me to
    suspect the MB and, after your reply, another computer where it fails
    too. This last being a Celeron@533 with an old 440LX based MB...

    Lowering memory clock speed from 500 to 425MHz seems to clear it up so
    I'll have a go at getting the card replaced.

    Thanks.

    - Anders -

    Anders Skargren, Nov 4, 2003