    twice the (133) setting, actually making it 266. If I'm correct, I was
    trying to drive a 200 chip at 266, which would explain why it locked up.

    Am I right?

    Box134, Mar 17, 2005

  2. Box134

    JefN Guest

    | I'm running an Athlon 1000 chip with my humble KR7A-133. I've never tried
    | overclocking it, so I thought I'd give it a modest try. The BIOS was set
    for
    | 1000(100) for this CPU. The FSB or system bus speed (whatever you want to
    | call it) for the Athlon is 200. So I thought no problem raising it to
    | 1000(133). Wrong. No boot.
    |
    | After three attempts at clearing CMOS using the jumper I still couldn't
    | boot. I thought I'd have to remove the battery next, but I found the trick
    | of holding down the INSERT key. On the second attempt I could boot again.
    |
    | So I was trying to figure out why this happened. I thought I was within
    | parameters the CPU could handle. But now I believe the FSB speed is
    actually
    | twice the (133) setting, actually making it 266. If I'm correct, I was
    | trying to drive a 200 chip at 266, which would explain why it locked up.
    |
    | Am I right?

    You're correct.

    Try baby steps, up from 100MHz, in SoftmenuIII to begin your overclock.
    Running at 133 MHz is a giant leap in terms of overclocking a 100MHz CPU.
    Some will do it, others won't.

    Jef

    JefN, Mar 17, 2005

  3. Box134

    Box134 Guest

    OK, thanks for the response!

    Box134, Mar 17, 2005
  4. Box134

    Wes Newell Guest

    Actually, the FSB is 100MHz for the Athlon 1000B with a 10 multiplier, not
    200.
    No. the default fsb for the Athlon 1000B is 100Mhz. Raising it to 133Mhz
    sets the clock speed to 133Mhz (cpu=10x133 for 1330MHz), not 266, which is
    bogus AMD marketing crap. The bus is DDR, but that's just data rates, not
    clock speed. Trying to run the cpu with a 33% overclcok will surely
    require more voltage than the default 1.75v, so raise it up to the max
    (probably 1.85v). You aslo need to set the PCI divider to 4:2:1 if not
    done automatically by the bios. And then you need to check the ram timings
    and make sure the bus speed doesn't exceed the speed of your ram. IIRC, I
    got either a litlle over 1300MHz or 1400Mhz out of my 1000B cpu, but since
    my MB didn't support a 133MHz FSB, I unlocked the multiplier, set it 13,
    then raised FSB til it wouldn't boot, and then backed it down. If you
    can't get it to work at 1330Mhz (10x133), then unlock the cpu by closing
    the L1 bridges on the cpu, leave the bus at 100MHZ and up the multiplier
    to say 12 (for 1200MHz) and try that. Work from there. The link below may
    also help you.

    Wes Newell, Mar 17, 2005