KR7A IDE and BIOS problems

Discussion in 'Abit' started by David Besack, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. David Besack

    David Besack Guest

    I am trying to help out a friend. His computer "died" and after ruling out
    other causes decided it must be the motherboard. I picked up a used KR7A
    which is compatible with his CPU and RAM and swapped mobos.

    It booted into the BIOS but would not detect any IDE devices. I had the HDD
    as master on IDE channel 1 and a CD drive as slave. SO I tried playing with
    different cables, and it turned out as long as I only had one device on each
    IDE channel, everything was detected correctly. I would prefer my original
    way because he only has one hard drive and one CD drive, just to reduce
    cable clutter. Is there a reason 2 devices on one IDE channel might not
    work that is not cable related?

    Second problem: I don't know what his CPU is. It's a socket A AMD -
    probably an Athlon, but beyond that I don't know. I have an NF7-S on my
    machine, and it auto-detects the CPU and sets the BUS speed and multiplier
    accordingly. The KR7A booted up and just gave me a list to choose from, and
    I'm not sure which is correct. Before I put the HSF on, I checked the CPU
    itself but any text on the die itself was worn away and I could not read it.

    TIA.

    David Besack, Sep 22, 2004

  2. David Besack

    Wes Newell Guest

    Wrong jumpers on drive(s). Try setting both to CS (Cable Select) if you
    really want them on the same channel (I wouldn't).
    And he doesn't know what CPU he bought? I think all XP's had labels, so
    it's probably an old tbird. What does the bios say it is, Athlon, or
    Athlon XP (see manual for CPU name in bios SoftMenu III)? If it's an XP,
    then the FSB should be 133Mhz minimum. Tbirds were made with both 100 and
    133MHz defaults. All this really doesn't matter though, just set it to run
    as fast as possible using User Defined settings.:)

    Wes Newell, Sep 23, 2004

  3. David Besack

    Stephen Guest

    http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htmOn Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:48:03
    Check the jumpers on the drives.

    Another cause can be the power supply. I had one fail just enough that the
    motherboard would only see the cdrom, but not the hard drive. It would see
    the hard drive if the cdrom power was disconnected.
    Get cpuz, it may tell you.
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 23, 2004
  4. David Besack

    David Besack Guest

    It booted into the BIOS but would not detect any IDE devices. I had the HDD
    I had them on cable select but I know sometimes cable select does a poor
    job of selecting :) Ah well they are on separate channels now and I
    suppose that's for the best.
    It was given to him.

    It is set to run at 133 MHz, and when I reset the cmos it defaults to a
    1500+, but that's the minimum setting so I don't know if it is detecting
    the CPU or just allowing you to set it yourself. I set it to run at
    1900+ and so far no problems or excessive heat.

    thx

    David Besack, Sep 24, 2004