KR7A, latest BIOS and 180gb HD and XP SP1

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Caroline, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Caroline

    Caroline Guest

    I thought I'd done it all, but XP will *not* recognise the real size of
    this hard drive. It keeps reporting it as 137gb when it's an IBM with
    180gb.

    I'm at my wits end - Partion Magic 8 says 137gb. The BIOS, however,
    reports it as 180gb (CX bios). I've installed Service Pack 1 on XP in
    the sure confidence it would recognise it. Zilch. Nada. I don't know
    what to do next. Please help!!

    The HD is a sole hard disc mounted on the RAID controller.

    KR7A RAID
    Athlon XP 2000
    512mb DDR2100 RAM
    180gb (hah!) IBM Deskstar

    TIA

    Caroline

    Caroline Picking,
    Milton Keynes, England.

    Caroline, Jul 17, 2003

  2. i had the problem too
    i'm assuming you bought your hard drive OEM like i did.
    If you had gotten the retail version, it would have come with an additional
    IDE controller card with LBA support for 48bit addressing. Which is needed
    for all hard drives over 137gb (128gb binary).
    get the promise technology Ultra133 TX2. worked for me

    http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?productId=87&familyId=
    3
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=533&
    p_created=1031763968
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263044

    -Brian

    Brian Cassell, Jul 18, 2003

  3. "Caroline" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    I thought I'd done it all, but XP will *not* recognise the real size of
    this hard drive. It keeps reporting it as 137gb when it's an IBM with
    180gb.

    I'm at my wits end - Partion Magic 8 says 137gb. The BIOS, however,
    reports it as 180gb (CX bios). I've installed Service Pack 1 on XP in
    the sure confidence it would recognise it. Zilch. Nada. I don't know
    what to do next. Please help!!

    The HD is a sole hard disc mounted on the RAID controller.

    KR7A RAID
    Athlon XP 2000
    512mb DDR2100 RAM
    180gb (hah!) IBM Deskstar

    TIA

    Caroline

    Caroline Picking,
    Milton Keynes, England.

    Try putting the 180GB harddrive on the normal IDE controller, instead of the
    RAID controller. I had the same problem with my KT7A-RAID an 160GB Seagate
    drive. It turns out the RAID controller on my motherboard simply doesn't
    support harddrives larger than 137GB. I would assume the problem is the same
    with your motherboard (which, IIRC, is a slightly newer model than mine,
    right).

    HTH

    Devast8or

    Devast8or, work, Jul 18, 2003