    It's driving me nuts, so if someone has a couple of suggestions they
    can throw me to try I'm all ears. Thanks.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 15, 2006

  2. GlassVial

    0_Qed Guest

    A 'short' ... mobo to backer plate ???
    Stuff a piece of cardboard under the mobo...

    Bent bat hold_down spring ... bad contact ???
    folded_up, alum foil shim under the hold_down .

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Apr 15, 2006

  3. GlassVial

    TomG Guest

    two things come to mind: one is that the clear CMOS jumper is not on the
    correct two pins, that is, the jumper is not installed at all or is on one
    pin. This jumper is not only used to clear the CMOS but is also used to
    provide battery power to the CMOS when main power is removed.

    second possibility is that there is a short circuit from the case mounting
    to the mobo in the area of the CMOS power. I have seen situations where the
    short circuit causes no other problems shy of the inability to keep the CMOS
    settings in place when main power is removed.

    check the positioning of the jumper and ensure that is correct and if so,
    then I'd be looking at the mounting standoff's as a possible cause.

    TomG, Apr 15, 2006
  4. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    two things come to mind: one is that the clear CMOS jumper is not on the
    I checked the jumper, it's position is correct. This board was
    shorting out on the case at one point, as the case that it is in has
    the molded "raised domes" for standoffs, and this board is so LARGE
    that the "right" edge was touching the 3 right side metal standoffs.
    I solved that with some electrical tape and pink foam (the kind most
    mobos come with). It sounds to me like there's still a possibility
    that it's shorting somewhere else, even though all the other domes
    line up with holes on the board. I suppose I can try open
    architecture and see if that solves the problem, and if so, try and
    find a case that has a flatter mounting surface.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 15, 2006
  5. GlassVial

    0_Qed Guest

    Look for some insulating fibre washers ... install atop the existing
    stand_offs.

    wall to wall 'insul', under the mobo, mite just over_heat the mobo.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Apr 16, 2006
  6. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    Look for some insulating fibre washers ... install atop the existing
    Any suggestions on what to use and how to do it?
    It's not entirely under the board, only in those specific spots I
    mentioned. I used small pieces of that pink foam and taped them to
    the board with black electrical tape.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 16, 2006
  7. GlassVial

    0_Qed Guest

    I'd imagine that a =good= hdwr store would carry insulating washers ...
    fibre.

    Find a hdwr store that has a =aisle= full of those small 1" hi x 12"
    wide
    pull_out trays ... small parts in general ...
    any kinda small washer that will insulate .

    My 'collection' resulted from un_used 'insul' washers packed with mobos
    way back in the old days.

    In "this" case , I'd suspect that =any= "washer" which has insulating
    capability,
    ie a smallish, hard rubber faucet washer, would function well.

    Another good notion ... improvise.
    Get 'outta' the box and thimk.

    Hopefully the mobo to metal backer plate, will litely crush_capture your
    insulation ... stop it from falling out . Elec tape adhesive is
    typically heat sensitive , and can lose it's hi viscosity ,
    thus losing 'adhesion' .

    best of luck ,
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Apr 16, 2006
  8. GlassVial

    0_Qed Guest

    a 2nd thot ...
    senior moment "mode" off ...

    A good MRR ( model railroad ) shop will carry such a washer,
    =esp= if they cater to the HO scale 'brass' crowd ... two rail 12vdc
    pwr.
    A good place to find various 'melt temperature' grades of solder too.

    If you have an Xacto rasor saw , ( not for use on steel ) ,
    a =mini_mini= version of the 'backer' saw used in a 'hand' mitre box,
    you mite consider slicing an electrical connection 'nut' ...
    chose your 'colour'.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Apr 16, 2006
  9. GlassVial

    0_Qed Guest

    Damn !

    As the mobo is 'raised' with insul washers ,
    be sure to maintain the 'system' grnd path to the backer plate.

    ==> those wave_soldered , 1/4"_ish, round 'pads' on the =bottom= surface
    of
    the mobo .

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Apr 16, 2006
  10. GlassVial

    TomG Guest

    good luck with it.

    TomG, Apr 16, 2006
  11. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    Damn !
    Sounds like too much of a pain in the ass to me. I'm going to try to
    dismount the board today and run it open architecture, see if that
    helps. If it does, then the board is shorting out, if it doesn't,
    there's something wrong with the board itself, and Abit has already
    had this board back once for the bad cap problem. If the board runs
    ok outside the case I'll just tell my friend to get a case that
    doesn't have those damned raised domes for mounting the board, and
    we'll go from there.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 16, 2006
  12. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    Yup, appears this board is shorting out somehow, even with my foam
    padding I taped to the back of the board. Not to mention it's now
    "eaten" 2 CMOS batteries thanks to these problems. I've got it on a
    cardboard Abit mobo box right now and powered it on and off several
    times, comes up each time. If I can't figure out a better way to
    insulate this board (and I probably won't) then like I said before,
    I'm just going to tell my friend to get a case without these stupid
    'raised domes' for the mounting.

    Thanks for the help.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 16, 2006
  13. GlassVial

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:58:20 GMT,
    in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, the queezy keyboard of GlassVial
    <> spewed the following:

    |Yup, appears this board is shorting out somehow, even with my foam
    |padding I taped to the back of the board. Not to mention it's now
    |"eaten" 2 CMOS batteries thanks to these problems. I've got it on a
    |cardboard Abit mobo box right now and powered it on and off several
    |times, comes up each time. If I can't figure out a better way to
    |insulate this board (and I probably won't) then like I said before,
    |I'm just going to tell my friend to get a case without these stupid
    |'raised domes' for the mounting.

    FWIW I use standoffs. Have a look here.
    http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Parts-Standoffs.htm
    There is no need to replace the case.

    nos1eep, Apr 16, 2006
  14. :

    | FWIW I use standoffs. Have a look here.
    | http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Parts-Standoffs.htm
    | There is no need to replace the case.

    Adding stand-offs would probably solve the problem.

    But they will probably introduce a new one: raising the motherboard further
    from the pan with stand-offs will cause the I/O connectors to mis-align with
    the I/O shield and will prevent the top of add-on cards from seating
    properly.

    Also .. with nylon stand-offs you lose the ground between the motherboard
    and the case.

    I can across one such case in working on a friend's computer. This friend
    is truly cheap: he even tried hammering down the raised domes .. which
    caused them to mis-align with the motherboard mounting holes.

    The final solution was a new case.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Apr 16, 2006
  15. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    Right, stand-offs wouldn't work for this application, but I did manage
    to find a solution. I had some white plastic 'plugs' leftover from
    some put-together yourself shelving, I plugged them into the 3
    offending domes, then I also coated the remaining domes with nail
    polish to insulate them to some degree, then I used some of those
    red-washers when I screwed the board down. Now it works great, I've
    powered it off and on several times and it's retained the bios
    settings and it's not killed the new CMOS battery I've installed in
    it.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 16, 2006
  16. GlassVial wrote:

    | Right, stand-offs wouldn't work for this application, but I did
    | manage to find a solution. I had some white plastic 'plugs'
    | leftover from some put-together yourself shelving, I plugged
    | them into the 3 offending domes, then I also coated the
    | remaining domes with nail polish to insulate them to some
    | degree, then I used some of those red-washers when I
    | screwed the board down. Now it works great, I've powered
    | it off and on several times and it's retained the bios settings
    | and it's not killed the new CMOS battery I've installed in it.

    Clever solution!

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Apr 16, 2006
  17. GlassVial

    TomG Guest

    keep us posted... so to speak.

    TomG, Apr 16, 2006
  18. GlassVial

    TomG Guest

    cool! well, I always have used cases with actual stand-offs and have not
    had an issue with them...

    TomG, Apr 16, 2006
  19. GlassVial

    TomG Guest

    the standoffs work fine on a case that is designed to have them to begin
    with as the IO panel still lines up... wouldn't work without the standoffs!

    as for the ground, you get a ground through the power supply plug(s) and the
    power supply itself is mounted to the case. I also use brass (or other
    metal) standoffs in my cases...

    TomG, Apr 16, 2006
  20. GlassVial

    TomG Guest