KR7A-RAID Mixing Registered/Non-Registered Memory

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Hawk, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. Hawk

    Hawk Guest

    Hello all,

    I was wondering if anyone out there has ever managed to get a KR7A to
    run with registered and unregistered memory on the same board at the
    same time.

    I have 2 x 256MB of registered stuff installed (DIMM1 & DIMM2)...tried
    popping in another 256MB un-registered module (tried both remaining
    slots) and the machine would post and boot fine, but only detects 256 of
    the 768.

    The user manual doesn't really mention if this is possible or not. My
    impression was that I needed 100% registered memory to use all 4 memory
    slots, but in this case I'm only trying to use 3.

    The odd thing is that AIDA32 can see all three memory modules and
    reports all the stats normally for them from within WinXP.

    Any ideas? I am running bios v6.00PG...

    Thanks for any feedback.

    (*>

    Hawk, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Thus spake Hawk:
    AIDA can see all three modules because it reads their SPD data through
    the SMBUS. But just because AIDA (and the BIOS, too) can see all
    three, doesn't mean they can all be used simultaneously. There are
    timing differences between registered and unbuffered DIMMs; you have
    use all of one or all of the other.

    Satan's Little Sister, Mar 6, 2005

  3. Hawk

    Hawk Guest