KR7A-RAID won't boot up after using setup menu

Discussion in 'Abit' started by RHertz, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. RHertz

    RHertz Guest

    My KR7A-Raid has a weird problem: If I go into the setup menu for any
    reason, it won't boot up. It just spins the HD and CD lights a couple
    times, and then...nothing. Not even the NVidia videocard splash screen that
    comes up at the start of all boots. Resetting the CMOS fixes the problem -
    for the short term, but then I can't make any changes to the setup menu. I
    recently updated the BIOS to CX, and the start of the problem is coincident
    with doing that, but reverting to the early BIOS version, or any BIOS
    version - I tried all on the ABIT site - doesn't fix it.

    KR7A-RAID
    Athalon XP 1700 (Which, because I can't change the setup, runs at 1500, and
    a CPU change error accompanies each reboot attempt.)
    NVidia Ti 4200
    SoundBlaster Live!
    Maxtor 6Y120P0
    Sony DVD RW DRU500A
    U.S. Robotics 56K Modem
    Texas Instruments OHCI Complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Logitech Winman Rumblepad USB
    Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3d USB
    3.5 " Floppy controller
    PS2 Compatible mouse
    DLink DFE-530TX+ PCI adapter
    a few other goodies, scanners, etc, all USB
    BIOS version CX

    RHertz, Oct 21, 2003

  2. RHertz

    - HAL9000 Guest

    - HAL9000, Oct 21, 2003

  3. RHertz

    RHertz Guest

    Yes, and I even waited for the yellow led to go out.

    RHertz, Oct 21, 2003
  4. RHertz

    Billy Guest

    G'Day Gents,

    I have the KR7A-133 (non-raid) with the original BIOS (about 2yrs
    old now). I just downloaded the latest CX from the ABIT web site.
    I have NOT burned CX into my FLASH ROM yet. I am not having a
    real problem, but my Micron PC2100 memory shows in CMOS that it
    is running at 133MHz (133MHz FSB). I have the CPU set at
    2000+ - 133 (AMD Athlon XP 2000+).

    Am I doing something wrong? Is my FSB really 133MHz or is it
    266MHz (DDR) but just not showing it correctly on the CMOS
    screen? The memory is Micron PC2100 256MB-ECC-Registered and I
    have 4 sticks installed for 1GB.

    I have my SDRAM speed setting to "By SPD".

    Thanks for any help. And I think I'll hold off on updating my
    FLASH to CX for now.

    Cheers,

    Billy

    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    Billy, Oct 23, 2003
  5. RHertz

    Wes Newell Guest

    Your FSB is really 133MHz, as it should be. The 266Mhz is marketing BS. It
    is DDR266 (not MHz).
    PC2100 ram is rated for a 133MHz memory bus. It is DDR266 (not MHz). And
    don't confuse the memory bus with the FSB. They are different buses.
    And this should set the bus to 133MHz.

    Wes Newell, Oct 23, 2003
  6. RHertz

    Billy Guest

    G'Day Wes,

    I believe everything you say, I think. This is the first time I
    have really thought about it. So, what does DDR266 memory buy me
    over PC133 memory? Would my system operate just as fast with the
    cheaper PC133? And does all this hold true with the higher numbered
    memory as well?

    I am so confused now. Why in the world would anyone buy memory
    other than PC100 or PC133?

    Please, if you don't mind, could you kinda explain what these
    numbers and bus speeds are all about? I THOUGHT I knew, but you
    have cast doubt in my mind, and as an engineer, I HAVE to
    understand things. Sorry mate, if it would take too much time,
    please don't use it up on me. If there is a web site you could
    point me to which explains all this, that would work as well.

    Ta Wes!

    Cheers,

    Billy

    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    Billy, Oct 23, 2003
  7. RHertz

    Wes Newell Guest

    Larger bandwidth. It can provide data twice as fast as PC133 since it is
    DDR (Double Data Rate).
    In reality, there's not much difference. Maybe 5-10%. Approx. 95% of data
    request from the cpu is serviced by the cpu cache.
    More potential. A little faster. And DDR nows has ram that runs at well
    over 200Mhz. PC100/133 isn't used any longer in newer boards. And PC100
    has always been too slow for socket A boards. I use PC150 and don't have
    problems. Some even have problems with PC133 when overclocking.
    CPU connects to the chipset over the FSB. That's where it gets all it's
    data. Memory connects to the chipset over a memory bus and passes data
    through the chipset to the FSB. Here's how AMD explains their bogus bus
    speeds. IOW's they are using 2 times the real bus clock.
    -----------------------------
    Thanks for contacting AMD's Technical Service Center. The stated FSB
    speed is the effective frequency. The physical frequency is half the
    effective frequency - 100, 133, or 166MHz. Most motherboards will state
    this physical frequency rather than the effective frequency.

    The reason for this is that, in the past, chipsets would transfer data
    once per clock cycle. With the introduction of the Athlon's chipset,
    they began transferring data twice per clock cycle, effectively doubling
    the amount of data transferred even though the physical frequency
    remained constant. This is similar to DDR (Double Data Rate) Technology,
    which is used in DDR SDRAM. You will also find similar technology used
    in other products as well, such as RDRAM.

    Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    Jeff Hanaoka
    AMD Technical Service Center

    Original Message Follows:
    You refer to the Athlon FSB speeds as 200mhz, 266mhz, and 333mhz. Is
    this really the front side bus speed? I can't find a motherboard that
    supports front side bus speeds higher than 166mhz. What gives?

    Well, if you decide to design anything, don't use the 266MHz, 333MHz
    numbers for clock speed.:)

    Wes Newell, Oct 23, 2003