    What size limit and for which BIOS rev?
    thanks
    Vic...

    Vic, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Vic

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Vic

    Vic Guest

    Vic, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Vic

    Shep© Guest

    You can most likely use a Disk Overlay program but I wouldn't
    bother.Also PCI add-on cards are cheapish,
    http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_hardware_00034.asp
    and give the advantage of more IDE ports which can help with data
    speeds if doing a lot of video/file manipulation of large files :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Dec 4, 2003
  5. The max on a non pro K7S5A is 137 gb as said by shep. However if you
    get a $20 IDE PCI card, you can used a HD over 137 gb on any of the
    K7S5a's. That is how I got my WD 180 gb working.

    Brian Campbell, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Vic

    Mike G Guest

    Shep, do you know if this this a hardware limitation, or a BIOS one?

    In other words, if I flash my K7S5A v3.1 with a recent K7S5A Pro BIOS
    (which I gather it's perfectly possible to do), will I then be able to
    use hard drives bigger than 137GB? I'm a little unsure about this.

    Mike G, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Vic

    RonS Guest

    Also, if you don't already have the larger drive, look when you buy
    .... my 160G Maxtor included an ATA133 PCI card. Works great on my K7S5A.

    RonS, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Vic

    Shep© Guest

    They are one and the same i'm afraid.See other posts.A cheap PCI
    add-on card is the best option as it also allows you to run your
    drives on separate IDE ports thus helping file transfer speeds for
    things like large file manipulation/video editing :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Dec 4, 2003
  9. I flashed a Pro BIOS into my K7S5A without any problems, but didn't have
    a >137Gb drive to test it with. The BIOS I used was the official 021216
    and this has been a good, reliable one.
    If the new Pro BIOS supports LBA48, yes. Don't forget to enable support
    in the OS as well.

    Another solution is a PCI IDE card, but it'll be sharing PCI bandwidth
    with your other cards. If you have a lot of cards, or high-bandwidth
    cards (TV card, 1Gbit ethernet), you may experience "stuttering" as they
    compete for bandwidth with the IDE.

    Mike Tomlinson, Dec 10, 2003