    to do. Of the Barton CPUs the 2600+ is the bang-for-the-buck sweet spot.

    Thanks

    John

    jc, Dec 27, 2003

  2. jc

    Ken Guest

    The Barton is a 333Mhz FSB chip, while the MSI KT3 Ultra (unless you have
    the Ultra2) is 333Mhz MEMORY only (hclk+33.) Sure you can and many have
    cranked up the FSB to 166Mhz and ran a Barton successfully, but realize you
    do not have the proper AGP and PCI dividers. You take a chance that either
    your video card or one of your PCI boards will not support the higher
    clockrate. Stick with a XP 2400+ ($74 OEM) for 100% compatibility or if you
    can find one (some used on e-bay) the XP 2600+ 266FSB Thoroughbred. Yea I
    bought into the KT3 333 hype also and was quite unhappy about learning that
    it was 333 on the memory channel only. (Rumor is there is a BIOS replacement
    that can be purchased third party that will make a KT3 Ultra based
    motherboard 100% Barton 333 compatible.) I have a 2400+ in now, upped from
    a 1600+ and am very pleased with the performance. Next step for me will be
    64-bit when the prices come out of the stratosphere.

    Ken G

    Ken, Dec 29, 2003

  3. jc

    jc Guest

    Thanks for the info - none of the posts I've seen on this subject touched on
    what you did. Yeah, my machine is too new to consider replacing from the
    M/B up (M/B, CPU, Memory, Video, etc) when it's just not that slow EXCEPT
    for new games arriving. I may just hold off for when Half Life2 and Doom 3
    are out the door and then buy a machine to be able to enjoy those games to
    their max potential. Other than music that's about all I need a heavy duty
    desktop for. I do 90% of everything else on an old P3 800MHz wireless
    laptop since blinding speed is not required.

    Thanks again,

    - J

    jc, Dec 29, 2003
  4. jc

    BB TACO Guest

  5. jc

    Ken Guest

    Thanks, but my AGP locked up tight at 142. I tried 166 just to find that
    mystical divider and had to hard reset the bios.

    -KenG

    Ken, Dec 30, 2003
  6. jc

    jc Guest

    How do you know it was AGP and not some other issue?

    jc, Dec 31, 2003
  7. jc

    Ken Guest

    D-Bracket made it all the way up to the video interface and hung there.
    Reset and everything worked fine.

    -KenG

    Ken, Dec 31, 2003
  8. jc

    Ken Guest

    Ken, Dec 31, 2003
  9. jc

    neopolaris Guest

    There most definitely IS a 1/5 divider on the KT3. Hope that clears things
    up.

    neopolaris, Jan 2, 2004