KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum + SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum Problem

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Jefrox, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Jefrox

    Jefrox Guest

    Hello everyone. This is just a followup post on the problem I've
    experienced concerning the subject.

    I've done everything what Matt has recommended and more when I
    received the SoundBlaster card back from Creative, but that didn't
    solve the problem. The Audigy card was only happy in slot 4, which no
    longer works, ie. can't be recognize at all. What made it worse is
    that I can't even install the OS from scratch, ie. it froze so many
    times during the entire process.

    Of course, during this troubleshooting efforts, the SoundBlaster
    card's EEPROM ended up being wipe out again! So I ended up sending it
    back to Creative again to be reflashed.

    I began to notice too that the Soyo board became even more unstable.
    (Note: BIOS reflashed & clearing of CMOS didn't help.)

    To make the story short, I ended up upgrading the mobo to ASUS A7V600
    (KT600 chipset). Right off, I was quite amazed how fast and stable
    this board is. The OS installation was flawless. The upgrade process
    went so smoothly, and there is no compatibility issues whatsoever,
    compare to what I have experienced in the past with the Soyo KT333
    board. Clearing the CMOS seems to be a routine on Soyo boards, not the
    case with this ASUS board. I like the fact too that ASUS provide a 3
    yrs warranty. Unfortunately, when I started to have problems with the
    Soyo board, the warranty had just expired ;-(.

    Anyway, the system is rock solid now---I am a happy (ASUS) camper ;-).

    Anyone else out there owned the KT333 Soyo board that ran okay
    (without hardware/software upgrade) then started having instability
    problems after 8 months? Just curious...

    Jefroxs

    All messages from thread
    Message 1 in thread
    From: Jefrox ()
    Subject: KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum + SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
    Problem

    View this article only
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo
    Date: 2003-07-24 01:39:33 PST

    Here's my system info:

    Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum (BIOS v2aa5)
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    LeadTek WinFast A250 LE TD MyVIVO Edition (128MB)
    Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
    1 Corsair XMS2700 (512MB)
    Antec SmartPower 350 watts
    TDK CD-RW drive 40/12/48X
    Western Digital 120 GB HD (int) & Western Digital 120 GB HD (ext)
    1 Sony Floppy drive
    1 Zip Drive (ext)
    USR 56K int Faxmodem
    Windows 98SE

    Since I installed (slot 4)the SounBlaster Audigy Platinum soundcard
    back in October, 2002, it has been working flawlessly.

    No software or hardware was installed before this problem happens.

    About a month ago, while I was logging off the internet, the system
    locked up. I tried to reboot using the reset button a few times, but
    nothing happen. (Note: this type of lock up has happened before, but
    only occasionally; however, I could always use the reset button) This
    time I had to turn off the power via the UPS.

    After I powered on the system, Windows will re-detect and re-install
    the soundcard. Although, music can still be played, and the sound
    quality is great, the system no longer recognized the soundcard as an
    Audigy soundcard. The original components of the card are: Creative SB
    Audigy, Creative Audigy Gameport, and Creative Joystick Emulation. The
    only thing that shows up on the Device Manager is Creative Audigy
    Audio Processor---nothing else.

    In the Control Panel, here are some of the Multimedia Properties:

    Audio tab=> Emu10Kx Wave Out [D400]
    Emu10Kx Wave In [D400]
    MIDI output tab=> Emu10Kx MIDI Port [D400]
    Emu10Kx Sw Synth [D400]
    Live!2K MIDI Port 2 [D400]

    I tried to restore the system using my previous Ghost images, but they
    didn't help. Even when I tried to uninstall and reinstall all the
    drivers and applications using the original installation CD; the
    installation couldn't proceed. I got this Error message instead:

    "Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Card Audigy on your system.
    Please ensure that your Sound Blaster hardware is properly installed
    before running the setup program. Setup will now exit."

    So, I sent the faulty card back to Creative and they sent me another
    sound card (same model).

    I installed the sound card on the same slot (4), restored the system
    using one of my previous working Ghost images. Powered up the system,
    the system couldn't boot. Finally, I got it working again ONLY after I
    powered down the system again right after restoring from Ghost image.
    There are times that I couldn't reboot the system at all (freeze on
    Windows) without shutting it down first.

    As for the soundcard, the system recognized its components without
    problem and has worked flawlessly for the past few days.

    Unfortunately, 2 days ago, the system locked up on me again while I
    was logging off the internet. I tried to reboot using the reset button
    once, but nothing happens. I had to turned off the system via the UPS.
    After the system was powered up, the Audigy sound card is no longer
    recognized again. Basically, this is an EXACT scenario as above. This
    replacement sound card has just been wiped out, too!

    My questions are these:

    1) Has anyone ever experience this type of problem before, specially
    with this mobo and Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum combination?

    2) Is it possible that the mobo is the culprit here? Perhaps, the PCI
    (slot 4) has gone bad and causing the SoundBlaster sound card to get
    wiped out?

    3) If the PCI (slot 4) has really gone bad, can this mobo continue to
    be used without causing system instability?

    Any help and/or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jefroxs
    Message 2 in thread
    From: Matt Brown ()
    Subject: Re: KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum + SoundBlaster Audigy
    Platinum Problem

    View this article only
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo
    Date: 2003-07-24 03:26:42 PST

    if the prob happens when logging onto the net - then try removing the
    modem
    and seeing if the system stays stable - also remove everything and try
    different things in slot 4
    or remove everything - wipe the hdd and start again from fresh, flash
    the
    bios to the new one (last resort) also make sure you have the latest
    drivers
    etc

    matt

    kt333 ultra plat, 1.5gb ram, 2400+, 1 x maxtor 20gb, 1x maxtor 120gb,
    gf2
    gts, win xp pro, 2aa7 bios ver

    Message 3 in thread
    From: Jefrox ()
    Platinum Problem

    View this article only
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo
    Date: 2003-07-29 20:35:01 PST

    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try some of them when I get the
    replacement sound card.

    BTW, I noticed on your system that you have the Bios rev 2aa7. Where
    did you get that one? I only saw rev 2aa6 on the Soyo's Web site.

    Anyway, if anyone is interested, below is the link that may possibly
    explain this rare occurance.

    Jefroxs

    Solution ID # 1821

    The Sound Blaster Audigy is no longer recognised in my ABIT KR7A
    motherboard

    http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/...j(1821),VARSET=centric:207,Kb=creative_cli_en

    Jefrox, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Jefrox

    hiyh Guest

    Well, as mentioned on a different thread, I had some lockup problems
    initially and had to send the board to Soyo. After that the board has
    been pretty stable although I can't get it power-off automatically and
    the firewire PCI card I installed makes the motherboard reboot after
    being shut down.

    Even so, I feel pretty lucky considering the other problems people have
    had with their Dragon Ultra Platinum. I don't know if I will be choosing
    SOYO for my next motherboard purchase.

    -hiyh

    hiyh, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Jefrox

    Deadeye Guest

    I have the same problem but I had a Hercules Fortissimo 7.1. It worked
    great for about 6 months and then I would get static noise. I tried
    switching slots and reinstalling... nothing helped. I had to go back
    to using onboard sound.

    Deadeye, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Jefrox

    Jefrox Guest

    Hiyh, was the board still under warranty when you sent the board back
    to Soyo? If it was no longer under warranty, how much did you end up
    paying for it? What was your turnaround time?

    So what did the Soyo technicians have to say about your current
    problem (reboot issue)? Did you even get a response from them when you
    sent them an e-mail about it?

    I was originally thinking about sending my KT333 back to Soyo to have
    them check and repair the motherboard. However, I decided to just buy
    a new motherboard because it is more cost effective, more reliable
    brand and a good way to upgrade to a more powerful chipset.

    Jefroxs

    Jefrox, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Jefrox

    Jefrox Guest

    What did Soyo and the manufacturer of your sound card had to say about
    your issue? Did you even get any help from them?

    How's the onboard sound working out? I never had a chance to use it
    since I already have the Audigy card. It seemed to get along just fine
    for 8 months, then problems started after that.

    Jefroxs

    Jefrox, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Jefrox

    hiyh Guest

    Yes, it was under warranty. Unfortunately Soyo's "you send us the board
    and we fix it and then send it back" is very annoying if you don't have
    another motherboard... I think the total turn around time was 2 weeks?
    This was at the end of the year, so there may have been some holiday
    delay... also, I paid the "Rush Fix" fee.
    Well, I did get a response from and he said to
    disable the "Power On by PCI Card" BIOS setting. I already did this. I
    think that I sent him back a note saying that I already tried that, but
    I didn't get a response.

    Let me say this though: fae3 was very helpful with my previous system
    freeze problems and sent me an RMA immediately. I was impressed with
    that level of support on Usenet.

    The fact is, even if the reboot issue *was* a motherboard problem and he
    gave me an RMA, the hassle of uninstalling the motherboard, packing it,
    and sending it to SOYO (even for a replacement) takes too long. 1-2
    weeks of downtime is not good. So, since I could live with that flaw, I
    decided not to deal with it.
    As I explained, I understand this reasoning. The next time I uninstall
    the motherboard will be to replace it... do any Motherboard
    manufacturers offer an "instant replace" service where they ship a new
    board to you and you send the old one back?

    -hiyh

    hiyh, Oct 14, 2003
  7. Jefrox

    Jefrox Guest

    Hiyh,

    Ah, at least the board was still under warranty. When the problem on
    my KT333 board started, the 1 year warranty had just expired. At least
    this new Asus board that I just purchased has a 3 years warranty.

    Anyway, I can understand how you feel about the when you sent your
    board back to Soyo. I see, the turn around time was 2 weeks. How much
    did you have to pay Soyo? And how much additional is the "rush fix"
    fee? Just curious...

    It's good that this fae3 was helpful, I remember reading several posts
    in this forum complaining about Soyo poor customer service specially
    their tech support.
    At least, this fae3 provided you the RMA right away. It appears that
    he is thee only tech that at least try to response to customers. I
    remember reading some post about this here. What about other Soyo
    techs? Anyone here is getting any help from other Soyo techs?

    As for mobo manufacturer offering instant replacement, I am not aware
    of any in the West. In the Far East, there are PC shops you can bring
    the mobo and they'll check it on the spot and fix it (if it can be
    fixed)for a fee ofcourse. :)

    Jefroxs

    Jefrox, Nov 9, 2003