KT3V: Halt detection & HDD slowdown

Discussion in 'MSI' started by phoeniX, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. phoeniX

    phoeniX Guest

    Configuration:

    MB KT3V (6712 v1.9)
    CPU Athlon XP 2000+ (Thoroughbred-B, Stepping B0)
    RAM Xerox (256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM) - Samsung chips
    HDD Seagate Barracuda 5, 7200rpm, 40Gb (primary master, no slave attached)
    VIAHyperion4in1449vp2
    BIOS 6712v18, 6112v19
    XP pro SP1 Windows

    After enabling Halt Detection in BIOS, there is a serious HDD slowdown (both
    reading & writing). Speed was measured by AIDA32 v3.70, HDtach v2.51 and
    Sandra pro 2003.7.9.73
    HDD is almost 10 times slower with Halt Detection on (aprox only 5.5
    Mb/sec).
    I owned a while ago KT3 Ultra2 MB and there was no problem at all with HDD
    speed and Halt Detection enabled.
    Is that a bug in KT3V BIOS???

    BTW, after I changed FSB from 133 to 166MHz, AGP & PCI slots runs on higher
    frequencies than normal (obviously, there is no auto-reducing multiplier
    from 1/4 to 1/5). That was just a short test to check CPU overclocking -
    system normally runs at default settings & values.
    Is there perhaps somewhere any other BIOS with auto 1/5
    multiplier available? Or mother-board is setting multiplier depending of
    detected CPU (Barton, Thoroughbred...)?

    phoeniX, Sep 16, 2003