KT6V Nightmare

Discussion in 'MSI' started by BobG, May 15, 2004.

  1. BobG

    BobG Guest

    I need some advice please, I have:
    KT6V 7021
    2.5 XP Athlon
    512 crucial pc3200 memory
    Radeon 9200
    Liteon DVD
    Western digital HD
    Problem:
    Built OK, set up bios, ran and installed XP, (done it all many times
    before).Everything ran ok until a power on, but not reboots, displays an XP
    error, isass.exe can't write registry etc.. First thought was a virus but
    scanned and ruled this out. Wiped and reloaded xp twice but still the same
    error.
    Finally ran memtest and with great relief found after 45 minutes loads of
    memory faults. Returned the same to crucial who replaced it by return of
    post. Then nightmare, exactly the same problem.

    Borrowed 256MB RAM same result with memtest except after 20 min??? Tried my
    RAM in the other machine, ran memtest for 5 hours with no problem.

    Disconnect the HD and DVD same problem.
    Changed PSU, no difference.
    Upgraded bios from 1.1 to 1.5 no difference.
    The only thing that seemed to make a difference was when I set the DRAM
    timing to ULTRA I had no memory errors after 2 hours.

    ANY suggestions welcome.

    Thanks

    BobG, May 15, 2004

  2. BobG

    Gollum Guest

    Do you have the fsb speed set to 166 ? Even if the memory is 3200, the
    2500 is 333 fsb so you have to set the fsb in bios to 166. ( 166 x
    ddr = 333)
    OR maybe a bad MB.

    Gollum

    Gollum, May 21, 2004

  3. BobG

    BobG Guest

    Sorted, I'm just thick.

    The original memory was faulty but I was using an older version of Memtest
    (2.3) when I recieved the new memory.Used 3.1 and everything is now OK.
    Teach me to label my floppies properly.

    BobG, May 26, 2004