KT6V - serious serious problems

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Christo, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Christo

    Christo Guest

    this is scarey

    I have assignments for uni on my pc i need to be able to use it

    Ok

    i updated bios on MSI KT6V from 1.90 to 2.00 it went wrong, fortunately i
    got another MSI KT6V from PC world

    anyway

    I installed it and the same thing happened, it wouldn't post, the D bracket
    2 with the 4 diagnostic LED's on suggested a CPU malfunction or incorrect
    installation

    So i took it out and re installed it, this time it worked WEHAY

    then after when the system was booting i got a CMOS error, press F1 to enter
    setup or F2 to load system defaults

    I loaded the defaults

    The system then hung at the part where the white bar loads before in windows

    So i pressed the off switch, cleared CMOS went back in and this time set the
    CPU FSB myself as well as the date and i also changed in PNP the primary
    graphics controller from PCI to AGP

    now my processor

    AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2600+

    i set the FSB to 166 Mhz and the multiplier to 11

    i then F10'd out of the BIOS and the system refused to post again,

    So the next time around i just left it, went into the BIOS again after
    clearing CMOS and left the processor settings alone

    they were

    100 Mhz

    Multiplier : automatic

    i changed the time and PCI gfx to AGP nothing else

    i then successfully got to the desktop

    i thought to myself wait the processor will be slower, so i did the easy
    thing right click my comp and properties, to my suprise it said 1.92 Ghz

    so i then went into CoreCell and checked (the msi program) and it too said
    1.9 ghz

    So i then pressed re set chcked the BIOS and now the FSB was 166 Mhz

    anyhow i then thought to myself "i am gonna get rid of the crappy MSI live
    update 3" because i dont wanna try and update my BIOS again and i dont like
    the program

    So i go to control panel add remove progs and do the thing, halg through the
    uninstallation process is loading the PC just shuts off...?

    so i try to switch it back and nothin, so i unplug the plug at the PSU and
    re plug it, switch on and it loads up ok, this time i try start>
    progs>MSI>live update 3>uninstall

    the same thing happens, the PC just powers down and doesn't re boot!!

    what the hell are MSI doing? i am not sure if this happens with all
    instances of trying to remove programs but why is it doing it?

    this is strange behavior, and with it being so close to christmas i am
    skint, i was lucky the guy in PC world was cool enough to put a fake error
    down so i could get a replacement, seen as how they dont give replacements
    for BIOS flashing gone wrong

    anyhow, if anyone at all could give me some kind of help!!! i would be very
    very grateful, i would give you a tenner (i know it isn't much but hey i am
    a skint student who has just spent all his money on christmas presents)

    i had scraped up a parental loan to get a new processor as thats what the d
    bracket was suggesting but it works now its smooth as a babies buttox, i
    just cant get rid of that MSI program. I will be back if it happens with
    other programs too

    it is a serious flaw

    PLEASE HELP ME I AM LOST!!!

    sorry for all the cross posts, this could be an OS problem, a hardware
    problem or whatever... i just want to have as much chance of getting help as
    possible

    Christo, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Christo

    Mitch Crane Guest

    this is scarey>

    I have assignments for uni on my pc i need to be able to use it

    I don't know what's wrong, but if you restart your computer from windows
    by pressing reset then expect lost assignments and possibly everything else.

    Mitch Crane, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Christo

    Mark Guest

    Never use the live-update for bio's...it sucks...do it the old fashion way
    with a floppy.

    Mark, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Christo

    Christo Guest

    yes, i have done it in the past with floppys on abit boards with award BIOS
    and no problems

    just these AMI bios on msi boards,, i figured the winflash would be ok, but
    i guess not (i have flashed abit boards also with winflash utils) anyhow i
    deleted it, the bios dont need updating it was just me nit picking

    Christo, Dec 23, 2004