KT7 and KT7A Raid boards/cpu's

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by WilcoxSE, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. WilcoxSE

    WilcoxSE Guest

    Hi folks,
    I just subscribed to this so forgive me if my questions have already been
    asked....as well as being a bit clueless (but eager to learn!). I am
    assembling a couple of pc's utilizing the KT7 (1.02 rev) and KT7A Raid
    boards. I got the boards awhile back off e-bay. Unfortunately, the KT7, that
    came with a Thunderbird 1.0 ghz cpu was problematic. I am hoping it is not a
    complete loss. On my first boot attempt, I received the message "cpu
    unworkable or soettings have changed"...followed by a freeze before I could
    access bios. On next boot attempt....well...a not so good smell....and the
    board shut itself down. On closer inspection, it seemed that the cooling
    fan/heatsink had come slightly loose, although fan was still operative.
    Anyhow, I can't even get a post now, and tried removing everything and
    re-installing one component at a time.....couldn't get even a beep. I'm
    hoping the board is still ok....but figure the cpu is dead.
    Anyhow, I found a ATHLON 1.2GHZ 200FSB THUNDERBIRD CPU for a pretty
    reasonable price and ordered it to see if the board is still operative. My
    question is (and please forgive the ignorance here) on either board, what is
    the most I can hope for , cpu wise? I was guessing that the 1.4 GHZ
    Thunderbird (@ 200 FSB) for the AT7 and the XP 2000+ Thoroughbred ((@
    266)FSB) for the AT7A Raid board would be about th best I could plan on?
    Thanks for your help,
    scott

    WilcoxSE, Apr 16, 2004

  2. WilcoxSE

    Jim Guest

    The problem w/ any older motherboard, especially w/ AMD processors, is
    always *available* CPU support. With everything from Duron, Athlon, Athlon
    XP, mobiles, 200FSB, 266FSB, Barton 333FSB, yada, yada, yada, the older the
    motherboard, the dicer the support for newer AMD processors. Some won't
    work at all, some could perhaps w/ a BIOS update (but since they're no
    longer supported, BIOS updates have long since been discontinued), etc.

    That said, I had a KT7A RAID v1.3 some time ago and was able to run an XP
    2000+ (Palamino) successfully. Although, I had trouble achieving stability
    at stock (133 x 12.5 = 1.67GHz). I had to underclock slightly to 131MHz to
    stop lock ups. Whether this was some problem w/ the motherboard, CPU, or
    whatever, I'm not sure, but I would have liked to OC a little, and that
    option was not even on the table. Does this represent the upper limit on
    this mobo?! Not sure. You should also be aware that ONLY the KT7A RAID
    v1.3 revision "officially" supported Athlon XP processors! Many people have
    forgotten at this point, similar to the Prescott issue w/ Intel processors
    today, not all current Intel mobos will support the Prescott, either now or
    in the future, you need to ask the vendor specifically if it's "officially"
    supported. Eventually, people will forget this too, and 2-3 years from now,
    this NG will be flooded w/ similar support questions.

    Anyway, I can speak from personal experience w/ the KT7A-RAID, but only rev
    1.3, if you have an earlier version, perhaps it's OK too, can't say for sure
    though. The other CPU/mobo combo sounds OK too, although I can't speak from
    experience in that case. I was running an Athlon 1.2GHz thunderbird *prior*
    to the XP 2000+ on the KT7A-RAID v1.3, it ran fine, so I suspect the earlier
    KT7 would not present a problem.

    That's the problem w/ using older mobo's, compatibility drops off a lot
    faster wrt new processors, a lot faster than in years past. You only have
    to be out 2-3 years now to find more and more issues w/ older equipment.

    HTH

    Jim

    Jim, Apr 16, 2004

  3. WilcoxSE

    WilcoxSE Guest

    Thanks for your help Jim!
    scott

    WilcoxSE, Apr 16, 2004
  4. WilcoxSE

    Wes Newell Guest

    See link below. It should answer all your questions.

    Wes Newell, Apr 17, 2004
  5. WilcoxSE

    rb Guest

    I have a kt7a ver 1.3 - running a 2000+
    at the time (when I built the system - ~2 years ago), official maximum
    cpu support (with the then latest bios) was 2100+ (- didn't that cpu
    have a long life!). So yes the 2000+ would be the max without
    overclocking - which for the most part seems more trouble than it is
    worth these days.
    cheers
    rb

    rb, Apr 19, 2004
  6. WilcoxSE

    Wes Newell Guest

    The max you can run without overclocking is the 2800+ MP (Barton core with
    a 133MHz FSB).

    Wes Newell, Apr 19, 2004