KT7/KT7-RAID replacement

Discussion in 'Abit' started by sgf, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. sgf

    sgf Guest

    I have a home built PC with a 900 MHz KT7/KT7-RAID mother board in it. After
    years of faithful service it appears to have failed.

    A couple of weeks ago when I booted the PC up it gave Windows 2000 active
    desktop errors. I cycled active desktop off and all was well. This happened
    on the next couple of reboots. On the next boot up everything looked normal
    until the Win 2000 splash screen with the progress meter came up. The bar
    gets about half way across and stops, never to move again. Booting in safe
    mode gives a blue screen asking if there were any software or hardware
    changes. There were not. I ran commercial hardware diagnostic software and
    it finds bad serial and parallel ports, but the mother board checks good. I
    pulled every card from the PC and swapped the video card out with a know
    good one, same results. I have two extra hard drives not installed but
    configured like the drive in the PC. I get the same results booting with
    each one.

    At this point I'm 99% sure the mother board is the culprit. I'd be happy to
    listen to any troubleshooting steps I may have missed. In the absence of
    that, can anyone tell me where I can find one of these boards with 900 MHz
    processor for a reasonable price. If not I'd be happy to get suggestions of
    replacement processor board combo recommendations in the 3 GB range. I'm
    trying to decide whether buying a PC or upgrading this one is my best bet.

    Thanks

    SGF

    sgf, Oct 23, 2005

  2. sgf

    Wes Newell Guest

    It's always cheaper to upgrade than buy new, but before you give up on the
    one you have now I'd try a new PSU. A weak PSU will give the same problems
    you have. Could be the caps have got weak to work with a marginal wattage
    PSU. A common problem with the KT7 era boards. Look for domed tops and
    leaking caps on the board. And I wouldn't use windows (or any OS) to test
    with. It's suseptable to too many viruses and driver problems that may
    result in looking like hardware problems. And even if it's ok, it might
    not be after once booting it due to disk corruption that might occer
    with a faulty system. Use a memtest boot cd/diskette for initial test.
    After that works you can run prime95 to check for stability.

    As for upgading, you can still find new socket A boards if you want to use
    your old cpu, but IMO, that's not a reasonalble option unless you are just
    strapped for cash at the moment. Findind a new socket A board that would
    except your old ram will be a problem and with the price of PC3200 ram so
    cheap I wouldn't even consider using the old ram. Sell the old MB/CPU/ram
    on ebay and start with a new board/CPU/ram/ and PSU. If you want to stay
    cheap, you can get a new Athlon 64 combo for a little more than $100 that
    will be at many times faster than your old 900MHz Duron(?). Socket A is
    dead and teh only ones in AMD price list are Semprons and they aren't
    worth buying IMO.

    Wes Newell, Oct 23, 2005