    chipset on an Asus. This KT7 Raid Via Chipset was finiky and took a long
    time to fiddle with settings to get good stability with optimum speed.
    (Thanks to Paul Howland's site for the great information!)

    Roy Jordan, Feb 8, 2004

  2. Roy Jordan

    Wes Newell Guest

    Ram is easy. Buy the fastest you can at a reasonable price. PC4000 right
    now. PC3200 minimum.
    MB's is a different story. Maybe an NF7-S if you want good quality sound,
    or if standard AC97 is ok and want cheap and easy to setup, then maybe an
    Asrock K7S8XE (standard, R3, or + model with sata raid). Even the top +
    model is only about $56 shipped.

    Wes Newell, Feb 8, 2004

  3. Roy Jordan

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Voice dictation as in 'voice recognition'? If so, just off hand, I
    would wonder if any internal sound card would be worthy. Don't know,
    but it might be consideration.

    The criteria being signal-to-noise ratio. Having (1) digital
    components on the same board (motherboard) as (2) analog (sound)
    components often produces a poor signal-to-noise ratio. This is
    especially important for the 'low level' microphone signal.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 07:50:39 -0500, "Roy Jordan"

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Feb 8, 2004